Region E1 Report - Spring 2011

NCSM, CCSS, and Fall Conference News
Mari Muri, Eastern 1 Regional Director
Spring 2011

This year's NCSM Annual Conference in Indianapolis was a smashing success! Almost 1200 teacher leaders at all levels were in attendance. The sessions were very well received and because emphasis was on the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), they were very well attended. What impressed me most, though, was the collegiality and bonding that occurred between participants from the various states and countries. It was exciting to hear pairs and small groups share stories from their own region and how they are coping with their various responsibilities. I'm convinced that many new friendships have been started, with promises to meet again next April in Philadelphia.

I was also incredibly pleased with the attendance at our Eastern Region 1 Caucus! Many thoughtful ideas were exchanged and many of our colleagues offered their volunteer services to NCSM-they can be assured that they will be called upon!

Currently our Eastern 1 tate team leaders consists of:

• Corby Kennison (CT)
  • Christine Newman (CT)
  • Jenny Tsankova (MA)
  • Leanna Russell (MA)
  • Shawn Towle (ME)
  • Judy Curran Buck (NH)
  • Suzanne Libfeld (NY)
  • Nancy Zarach (NY)
  • Eric Simonian (RI)
  • Julie Conrad (VT)

If you know any of these folks, they stand more than ready to help you with questions about NCSM. If you would like to get in touch with any of them, refer to their email addresses, which can be found in the right most column of my webpage.

Although this group will keep me informed of math- and math leadership-related events that are scheduled for each of our states, please feel free to send me directly any information you have about math organizations in which you participate. The more we can get the word out, the more folks will attend! My e-mail is

The "big buzz" now is about Common Core State Standards! As far as I know, all NE states, except Maine, have currently adopted these math standards. The website where you can find complete information is: www.corestandards.org. You may also be interested that NCSM has joined forces with NCTM, ASSM, and AMTE to create implementation support as states look at actual implementation. Only states that have adopted the CCSS were eligible to secure funding through the Federal Government "Race to the Top" competitive funding. As of my writing, MA, NY, and RI are the states in our Eastern 1 Region that have been awarded funding.

Several major conferences are planned in our states planned for this fall and next spring. Please look for the dates below or visit the NCSM calendar for specific information.

I wish you a very happy spring, especially after the trying winter of snow we've all experienced! Please stay in touch with me at

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)