Region W2 Report - Summer 2011

Summer 2011 News for Western 2 Region
Hope Bjerke, Western 2 Regional Director
Summer 2011

School is out for many of us out here in the West and we are looking forward to summer weather, relaxed schedules, and opportunities to collaborate in leadership settings. There are two huge events happening this summer that will give NCSM members in the Western 2 Region these opportunities in leadership. California Mathematics Council Northern Section is sending several of its members to the Atlanta NCSM Leadership Academy in June. One of the teams (Chris Dell, Renae Burson, and Rita Nutsch) is from the Mt. Lassen Math Council where I live and the other team (Renee DuVander, Kristin Zack, Amy Zigler, and Krista McAtee) is from the newly revived Sonoma County Math Council. Most of these participants will be new members to NCSM and we welcome them aboard. The other event is the annual Oregon Math Leaders Conference (OML) at Linfield College in McMinnville, Oregon, on August 7 - 9. Cheri Clausen, Patty Sandoz and Marilyn Harlow are planning a program that focuses on improving mathematics instruction through the Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practice. The format for this gathering sounds very positive for creating opportunities to collaborate and develop a strong cadre of leaders in mathematics education for Oregon. I really want to attend this event next summer.

The program chairs for three of our largest regional conferences are busy finalizing plans for conferences this fall. The Northwest Mathematics Conference returns to Portland, Oregon, on October 13 - 15 and will be held at the Red Lion Hotel at Jantzen Beach. Phil Bartsch announces that Michael Shaughnessy, Mathematics Professor at Portland State University and current NCTM President, will be the keynote speaker on Thursday. Other notable speakers will be Irving Lubliner, Professor and Mathemagician from Southern Oregon University, Kim Sutton, Greg Tang, Barbara Novelli, James Burnett and Judith Hillen. You can register on-line at www.octm.org or www.wsmc.net.

California Mathematics Council - South Conference 2011 will be held at multiple hotels in exciting Palm Springs on November 4 - 5. Bruce Grip has a great program planned with a focus on Building Student Mathematical Identity Through Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practice. You will be able to check out the details of this program on-line at www.cmc-math.org by mid-June.

Finally, California Mathematics Council - North Conference 2011 will be in Pacific Grove, CA, at the beautiful Asilomar Conference Grounds on December 2 - 4. Rebecca Lewis is working with her committee to firm up speakers for their program Grow with STEM - Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. Details of that program and registration opportunities will be open in July or August at www.cmc-math.org. I have it on good authority that Cathy Seeley and Alan Schoenfeld have agreed to be keynote speakers.

I got my June issue of the Communicator last week (that's the California Mathematics Council Journal) and enjoyed reading about mathematics leaders' beliefs in an article written by NCSM leadership team member, Diane Kinch. A group of educators from Pomona, CA, got together to write a belief statement about the teaching of mathematics. They used a variety of documents including position papers on related topics from NCSM to guide their discussion. The belief statement is on page 12 and I recommend you take a look at their work. Good job Pomona USD PLC!

If you have news to share or would like some help from NCSM in your area, please send me an email request. My address is: . My husband and I own a cattle ranch in Northern California hence the different looking email address. The name of our ranch is Spring Hill - get it?? Anyway, I would LOVE to hear from you. Have a great summer.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)