Region C1 Report - Spring 2012

News from the Central 1 Region
Valerie Mills, Central 1 Regional Director
Spring 2012

Greetings to you all as we conclude the 2011-12 school year. We are in such an exciting and challenging time in mathematics education. The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for mathematics have been adopted by all the states in our region and, except Alaska, Texas, and Virginia, all of the states in the entire country and we are all beginning to understand more about what the new national assessments will mean for our students and our practice. There has clearly never been a better time to be a member of NCSM!

NCSM is actively working with NCTM, ASSM, and AMTE to create implementation support materials as our states look toward actual implementation of the Common Core Standards. Keep checking the NCSM website over the summer for latest up-dates. We now have a whole set of resource pages that can be found by clicking the "CCSS" link in the purple navigation bar on our website.

I want to remind you that several NCSM sponsored learning opportunities this summer and state-level conferences are planned for this fall and throughout next year. When you scroll to the end of this message, you'll find a rolling calendar of events that list both NCSM and our regional activities by date. So that we may keep information up to date, feel free to contact your NCSM state team leader or me to share the information that needs to be posted.

Our state leaders are dedicated math teachers/leaders who are ready to help you with questions about NCSM. If you would like to get in touch with any of them, refer to their email addresses, which can be found in the right most column of my webpage.

Although this group will keep me informed of math- and math leadership-related events that are scheduled for each of our states, please feel free to send me directly any information you have about math organizations in which you participate. The more we can get the word out, the more folks will attend!

Our NCSM writing team has been working non-stop this spring to finalize work on the Illustrating the Standards for Mathematical Practice professional development modules via adobe connect meetings, conference calls, and email. Aimee Evans, NCSM Board Secretary and writing team member, was the first to use the newly developed modules in a television broadcast for an Arkansas educational network. The team is working to complete a set of 14 modules and get them posted on a newly designed page of the NCSM website so they are ready for the annual conference in Philly! Go team!

I wish you a safe close to the school year and a renewing learning summer!

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)