Region E1 Report - Summer 2012

News from the Eastern 1 Region
Mari Muri, Eastern 1 Regional Director
Summer 2012

Schools in our New England and New York states are just about getting out of school for the summer. During your time away from the classroom, take the time to refresh or renew some of your math leadership skills. With the Common Core State Standards upon us for implementation no later than this fall, we all have to consider approaching our teaching and leadership in a somewhat different light. There are some major changes that will have to take place in our classrooms, beginning in Kindergarten and all the way through high school.

I hope that many of you are going to take advantage of the Leadership Academies and have registered to attend one of these two opportunities:

June 25-27, 2012
Allegheny Intermediate Unit
475 East Waterfront Drive
Homestead, Pennsylvania 15120
Allegheny County

July 31-August 2, 2012
Sonoma County Office of Education
5340 Skylane Boulevard
Santa Rosa, California 95403
Sonoma County

Should these sessions not fit into your agenda, I strongly encourage you to register for the Fall Leadership Seminar to be held in Hartford, CT on October 24, 2012. This session will precede the NCTM Regional Conference on October 24 (late afternoon) - October 27, 2012. Plans are a day around the very important assessment that will follow in the footsteps of the CCSS. There will be speakers in the morning who are intimately involved with both Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) scheduled to be used in CT, RI, VT, and ME and Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) scheduled for NY, MA, and NH. The afternoon will be divided for interest in elementary formative assessment and middle and high school open-ended (higher level) assessment. Morning refreshments and lunch will be included!

Please also browse the calendar below my summer report for up-dated information on other math events in our various states and our region. For any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. Also, please note the changes in the list of Math State Team Leaders. These State Team Leaders stand ready to help you at an even more local level.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)