Region W1 Report - Fall 2012

News from the Western 1 Region
Mona Toncheff, Western 1 Regional Director
Fall 2012

This summer, I had the pleasure of taking a two-week family road trip through a large part of Western Region 1. I am originally from Washington State and grew up in Northern WA, Idaho and Nevada before moving to sunny (and seasonably warm) Arizona. I wanted my children to appreciate my roots and experience the beauty of the western United States. We drove through nine states, several national parks, and across some gorgeous terrain. All the while, I was thinking about the teachers and students that were represented in the small towns across our region. How can one organization meet the needs of teacher leaders across this vast region? I am pleased to say that this is the same concern of the NCSM board. We met at the end of July and created a strategic plan that will support teacher leaders in meeting the ever increasing demands on education. Our resources for teacher leaders will continue to grow so keep checking the NCSM website for latest up-dates.

Upcoming Region Conferences: Any Pinterest Fans out there? I created a Pinterest board will all of the region math associations. If you would like your group added to the board, please send me your URL. This is a great way to view other math educational events and resources in your region. pinterest.com/mtoncheff/ncsm-western-region-1/

We have several state-level conferences happening this fall. When you scroll to the end of this message, you'll find a rolling calendar of events that list both NCSM and our regional activities by date. So that we may keep information up to date, feel free to contact your NCSM state team leader (listed on the side bar) or me to share the information that needs to be posted.

Upcoming Assessment changes: An unprecedented assessment event is occurring in our region with the adoption of the Common Core standards. There is a historic level of mathematics education reform and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to transform student assessment for years to come. Did you know that in our region, we have two states that are implementing more rigorous assessments tied to their state adopted standards (Utah, Alaska), three PARCC states (Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado) and four SMARTER Balanced states (Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, Idaho and Montana). PARCC has released its first prototype and SMARTER Balanced. Please click on the links for more information.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)