Region E2 Report - Winter 2012/2013

News from the Eastern 2 Region
Eric Milou, Eastern 2 Regional Director
Winter 2012/2013

As the 2012-13 school year continues, all of us at NCSM are preparing many exciting events including our Annual meeting on April 15-17, 2013 in Denver.

Clearly our focus has been on the Common Core math standards which presents a great challenge and also a huge opportunity for all of us to improve mathematics education. As you may know, both assessment consortiums have released many sample items.

For PARCC prototypes, check out: www.parcconline.org/samples/item-task-prototypes

For Smarter Balanced has released a plethora of items at: www.smarterbalanced.org/sample-items-and-performance-tasks/

Note that PARCC is developing a fixed-form assessment (students take one of several fixed, equated sets of items) in grades 3-8, algebra, geometry, and algebra II with optional K-2 formative performance tasks. On the other hand, Smarter Balanced is developing adaptive delivery assessment (students see an individually tailored set of items and tasks) in grades 3-8 and high school with a retake option available for the end-of-year component.

Also, you can find many resources by clicking "CCSS" link. One of my favorites is "Illustrating the Standards for Mathematical Practice". Other powerful resources include Inside Mathematics at www.insidemathematics.org and the Mathematics Assessment Project (MAP) at map.mathshell.org.uk/materials

State events being held in our region are listed in the calendar section of this page. If you don't see your event listed, please just contact me () and I will get it listed for you. Finally, please reach out to your colleagues and INVITE them to join NCSM. Help us build our mathematics education leadership community. Best wishes for a happy and healthy holiday season.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)