Region S2 Report - Winter 2012/2013

News from the Southern 2 Region
Ted H. Hull, Southern 2 Regional Director
Winter 2012/2013

If you are like me, you find it difficult to believe it is already December. The first half of the school year is completed, and there is still a great deal of work to do. As your Regional Director, I have been involved, and am still involved, in several projects that are making great progress. These projects will serve the membership well.

One of the major projects is the Coaching Corner that is up and running, but still undergoing additions and improvements. David Foster, with the Silicon Valley Mathematics Initiative, has provided NCSM with some terrific resources. These resources are being continually added, so be sure to keep checking the website.

Another very important project is the PRIME 2 document being written. This document will work with PRIME to help leaders more effectively implement the Common Core State Standards. If progress continues as planned, a draft will be ready by the annual conference. Steve Leinwand is doing a wonderful job of facilitating the work. I feel fortunate to be working with Steve and the outstanding members of the writing committee.

In other work for NCSM my colleagues, Ruth Harbin Miles, Don Balka, and I presented a full day session for leaders at the NCTM Dallas Regional Meeting. We also had an NCSM table at the NCTM meeting. Finally, I want to thank the Alabama Council of Teachers of Mathematics for allowing me to speak at their annual meeting in Montgomery, Alabama.

Hope to see you in Denver.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)