Region W2 Report - Winter 2012/2013

News from the Western 2 Region
Hope Bjerke, Western 2 Regional Director
Winter 2012/2013

This has been a very busy conference season for me during the last 5 months. It was great seeing so many of you and getting to learn more about implementing the Common Core State Standards and especially the Standards for Mathematical Practice. I hope you are having a good school year so far and finding ways to make changes toward the new standards.

I started my conference adventure in August at the NCSM Leadership Academy in Santa Rosa, CA. That was a great three-day meeting and an opportunity to work with my team from the Shasta County Office of Education. Then on September 6-8, I attended the TOTUM meeting in Ashland, OR and learned about the efforts of my teacher prep colleagues to the north to implement the CCSS in the colleges and universities of Oregon. In October I did a session at the Mt Lassen Mathematics Conference using one of the NCSM Modules on Illustrating the Standards for Mathematical Practice. I presented another NCSM module on the Practices at the CMC-South Conference in Palm Springs in November. And finally I drove to Asilomar in December and presented an NCSM Module at the CMC-North Conference.

There are several conferences still to come in the next few months. I hope you will be able to attend some of these. On January 19, 2013, the Hawaii Council of Teachers of Mathematics holds its Annual Spring Conference at Sacred Heart Academy in Honolulu. The theme is Finding Common Ground: Standards, Technology and More. The Washington State Mathematics Council will have a Board meeting on March 2, 2013, and will probably be talking about the Northwest Mathematics Conference they are sponsoring in Bellevue in October. I'll share more on that in the next report.

The Oregon Council of Teachers of Mathematics Professional Development Cadre is sponsoring their Math Over a Meal series - Understanding the CCSS for Mathematics in Tillamook on February 16 and in Hillsboro on April 20. Contact Winnie Miller at . You can learn more about the CC Mathematical Practices on February 23 in Coos Bay and in Salem. Register at www.octm.org/pdc/pdc-brunches.

On March 8-9, 2013, The California Mathematics Council - Central Section is sponsoring another STEMposium in Visalia. Contact 888-cmc-math or for more information or to register.

And we all need to get registered for our NCSM Annual Conference in Denver on April 15-17, 2013. We had a board meeting there in November and the facilities look great. We are going to have all our meetings in two hotels across the street from each other and I predict a very cozy conference with lots of opportunities to learn and network. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season with family and friends. I'll see you next year in Denver!

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)