Region E1 Report - Spring 2013

News from the Eastern 1 Region
Mari Muri, Eastern 1 Regional Director
Spring 2013

This report will conclude my term as the NCSM Eastern Region 1 Director. It has been a challenging yet rewarding time to serve my New England and New York State mathematics colleagues. Common Core State Standards and the ensuing statewide testing programs from the two test development consortia have been at the foreground of so much of what we do.

I'm proud to report that NCSM has been among the lead organizations to provide resources to its membership and the math community at large. Our website is filled with helpful information for all who visit it and additional information for NCSM members on the members only site. We have several new position papers that relate to some of the important topics in mathematics education today.

I am also excited about the upcoming National NCSM Conference scheduled for April 15-17, 2013 in Denver, Co. There is a list of dynamic speakers to cover all of the relevant issues in today's math world, as well as sessions to support you in your leadership role at your school or district. Registration is open under "conferences and events" on the NCSM website.

I want to thank my State Team Leaders: Connecticut: Brenda Dzwill, Corby Kennison,Christine Newman, Maine: Jenny Jorgensen, Massachusetts: Leanna Russell, Jenny Tsankova, New Hampshire: Judy Curran Buck, New York: Suzanne Libfeld, Nancy Zarach, Rhode Island: Judy Keeley, and Vermont: Julie Conrad. They have all been an incredible help to me by setting up NCSM tables at their state or regional conferences, sending out reminders and messages to their state level constituents, and anything else I've asked them to do. We, as a team, are proud that we have increased our membership in our region beyond the goals we set each year.

And, a special thanks to all of YOU for being responsive to our requests for help, renewing your memberships and attending the NCSM Leadership Seminar held in Hartford last October. We had the greatest turnout of the three regional seminars!

Thank you for allowing me to serve you for these past three years. You have elected Suzanne Libfeld from NY state as your next Eastern Region 1 Director. I am confident that she will serve you well and I ask you to be supportive of her requests for help.

I invite you to stay in touch with me at

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)