Region W2 Report - Spring 2013

News from the Western 2 Region
Hope Bjerke, Western 2 Regional Director
Spring 2013

It appears to be a lovely Spring Day here in Northern California. The Weather Channel predicts temperatures in the high 70's, my Daffodils are out in force and the Tulip tree is beginning to bloom. It's too bad we still have the fury of March ahead of us.

Speaking of fury, are you ready to implement the Common Core State Standards this coming fall? Here in my county of Shasta, all the high school and middle school districts have agreed that they will no longer be teaching Algebra 1 in 8th grade or anywhere beginning with the 2013-2014 school year. Middle school students will be in Common Core Math 6, 7 or 8 and all high school freshmen will be in Integrated 1. To say there is excitement (and anxiety) in these hills would be the understatement of the century.

So what is happening in your area? I know in states in the other regions east of us, this change has already been happening. Several states have even posted the curriculums they are developing on the Internet for others to use or pilot free of charge. I am coaching at a high school where my teachers are using materials from Utah. What an exciting time for our teachers and students! What an opportunity to invent and create. Take another look at the ideas we have on this website and come to Denver in April to find out how you can be a part of the changing tide. Oh Happy Day!

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)