Region C2 Report - Summer 2013

News from Central 2 Region
Laura Godfrey, Central 2 Regional Director
Summer 2013

Wow! I am just catching my breath after the amazing annual conference in Denver! It was wonderful to see so many old friends and to meet so many new ones.

The Central Region State Team Leaders met in Denver to set new goals and action steps for the upcoming year. Unanimously we agree that our number one goal is to provide support and materials for our NCSM teacher leaders to improve instruction and student learning by creating opportunities to use, publicize, and communicate the great resources NCSM has to offer. Additionally, we want to spread our work to other teacher leaders that have not had the opportunity to work with NCSM yet. Finally, and ultimately we do want to increase our membership in the Central 2 region to grow NCSM strong!

As we prepare for the 2013-14 school year, all of us at NCSM are preparing many exciting events for the fall. Check out the fall leadership seminars:

"Digging Deeper: Leadership Tools for the Common Core Era"
A Seminar for all Mathematics Teachers and Leaders

Baltimore, MDLas Vegas, NVLouisville, KY
October 16, 2013October 23, 2013November 6, 2013

Cathy Fosnot, of Mathematics in the City (MitC) and the new Contexts for Learning Mathematics series will be the lunch speaker at all three seminars. These NCSM fall leadership seminars are located across the United States and they precede the NCTM regional conference. Register and find more information now

I hope to see many of you from the Central 2 Region there.

As for common core news, I urge you check out the following resources/websites:

And as you may know, both assessment consortiums (PARCC and SBAC) have released many sample items.

For PARCC prototypes, check out: www.parcconline.org/samples/item-task-prototypes

For Smarter Balanced a plethora of items can be found at: www.smarterbalanced.org/sample-items-and-performance-tasks

Also at the NCSM website, you can find many resources by clicking "CCSS" link. Two of my favorites are "Illustrating the Standards for Mathematical Practice" and "Coaching Corner." Other powerful resources include Inside Mathematics at www.insidemathematics.org , and the Mathematics Assessment Project (MAP) at map.mathshell.org.uk/materials

Finally, please reach out to your colleagues and INVITE them to join NCSM. Help us build our mathematics education leadership community.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)