Region S2 Report - Summer 2013

News from the Southern 2 Region
Linda Griffith, Southern 2 Regional Director
Summer 2013

I would like to begin this report by recognizing and thanking Ted Hull for his service as regional director for our region. He truly did an extraordinary job for our region. I am honored to begin my term as regional director and hope that I will serve you half as well as Ted did.

Mathematics education leaders in Southern Region 2 are having a busy summer hosting conferences and professional development for teachers and teacher leaders and planning fall conferences and professional development events. This is a crucial time in mathematics education with Common Core State Standards providing us with an opportunity to take the next step in improving mathematics education.

The Center for Research on STEM Teaching and Learning (CRSTL) at Oklahoma State University hosted a STEM Teaching institute on June 21, 2012 in Stillwater, Oklahoma. I was honored to attend and deliver the opening keynote and two break out sessions. The conference was very well organized and attendance was well over 100 teachers. It was exciting to see the exchange of ideas between mathematics and science educators. This was my first time to attend a meeting as NCSM Southern Region 2 director and it was a great start. Earlier in the month on June 7, the Oklahoma Council of Teachers of Mathematics hosted their Annual Summer Conference at University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond.

Conference for the Advancement of Teaching of Mathematics (CAMT) will be held on July 10-12, 2013 in San Antonio. The theme for this conference is "Unlocking the Mathematical Mind". The Texas Association of Supervisor of Mathematics (TASM) will meet prior to this meeting on July 9. The fall TASM meeting is planned for October 21-22 in Austin.

The Mississippi Council of Teachers of Mathematics plans to host their fall Conference on the Jeff Davis Campus of the Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College on September 20-21. The theme for this conference is "Catching the Wave of Common Core".

The Tennessee Mathematics Teachers Association is planning a fall meeting at Memphis University School in Memphis, Tennessee on September 27-28.

The Alabama Council of Teachers of Mathematics will also host a fall conference at Alabama State University in Montgomery on October 31. The theme is "Putting It All Together".

The Arkansas Council of Teachers of Mathematics is planning for the Arkansas Curriculum Conference. This conference is co-hosted with the Arkansas Science Teachers Association, Arkansas Council of Teachers of English Language Arts, Arkansas Council of Social Studies and the Arkansas STEM Centers. The conference theme is "Preparing the Next Generation". The Arkansas Association of Mathematics Leaders will host a preconference on October 30 for mathematics education leaders, an open conference format is planned to allow the participants to set the agenda based on the problems they are encountering as the districts across the continue implementation of Common Core State Standards for Mathematics.

The Louisiana Association of Teachers of Mathematics and the Louisiana Science Teachers Association with co-host a fall conference in Shreveport on November 12-14.

As the mathematics education leadership in Southern Region 2 works to provide the leadership and support teachers and schools will need to successfully implement new standards, collaboration will be key. NCSM supports and promotes collaboration within the regions and across the country. Even though change is hard, the fact that we are in this together with the goal of improving mathematics education for all students makes the goal more attainable.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)