Region C2 Report - Fall 2013

News from Central 2 Region
Laura Godfrey, Central 2 Regional Director
Fall 2013

Welcome back to school. This year's entering Kindergarten Class will graduate from High School in 2026! These students will, most likely, have learned all of their mathematics based on the Common Core State Standards and will only know Common Core Assessments. Will we see a difference between these students and those who graduated this spring 2012?

Most schools will be using curricula based on CCSS or other new state standards. How ready do you feel? What kind of support from your district or your school have you had in helping you decipher the differences in content and process that affect your grade level? Support across our Central Region varies greatly across states and within each state.

You will want to enhance your understanding of these important documents by continuing to keep your NCSM membership up to date and visiting the NCSM website often.

You'll find a huge array of information to help you through this important phase of change. NCSM has as its priority "to help mathematics educators interpret and understand the CCSS and to develop and implement comprehensive, coherent instruction, and assessment systems."

Among the helpful sites to visit are the box marked Common Core State Standards. Here you will find sections marked "Latest News," "Resources," "Presentations," Documents," and "Collaborations." These pages include NCSM developed materials and resources, work undertaken in collaborating with other organizations, and participating in conferences and other initiatives that promote shared understanding of the CCSS. On this site you will also find numerous quick links to other outstanding and supporting mathematics related organizations.

I want to personally invite you to join me at a NCSM Fall Leadership Seminar:

"Digging Deeper: Leadership Tools for the Common Core Era"

For All Mathematics Teachers and Leaders!

Baltimore, MD
October 16, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
October 23, 2013
Louisville, KY
November 6, 2013

Cathy Fosnot, of Mathematics in the City (MitC) and the new Contexts for Learning Mathematics series, will be the lunch speaker at all three of these leadership seminars. The NCSM leadership seminars are located across the United States, and precede the NCTM regional conference. You can register online now.

And, it is time to start thinking about the NCSM 2014 Annual Conference in New Orleans, Louisiana. The theme is " Jazzed Up" and incredible speakers and experts are making plans to present to you. I am excited already!! Stay tuned for more news to come.

My term as C2 director ends next spring at the annual NCSM conference in New Orleans, Louisiana. Exercise your membership privilege - remember to vote for a new Central 2 Regional Director later this fall. It is a fun and rewarding position and I have loved doing it!

As for common core news, I urge you check out the following resources/websites:

And as you may know, both assessment consortiums (PARCC and SBAC) have released final specifications for assessment, as well as many sample items and their guidelines for testing accommodations.

For PARCC prototypes, check out: www.parcconline.org
For Smarter Balanced a plethora of items can be found at: www.smarterbalanced.org

Also at the NCSM website, you can find many resources by clicking "CCSS" link. Two of my favorites are "Illustrating the Standards for Mathematical Practice" and "Coaching Corner." Other powerful resources include Inside Mathematics at www.insidemathematics.org , and the Mathematics Assessment Project (MAP) at map.mathshell.org.uk/materials

Finally, please reach out to your colleagues and INVITE them to join NCSM. Help us build our mathematics education leadership community.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)