Region E1 Report - Fall 2013

News from the Eastern 1 Region
Suzanne Libfeld, Eastern 1 Regional Director
Fall 2013

The Fall is resplendent with celebrations and opportunities for networking and professional development.

In September, NYSAMS, the NYS Association of Mathematics Supervisors, hosted the Sixth Annual Hall of Fame for Mathematics Educators in Tarrytown, NY. One hundred twenty people attended to celebrate the outstanding educators. The honorees were Dr. Elliott Bird, Dr. Alice Artzt and Maxine Leonescu. Dr. Artzt is the director of the Secondary Mathematics Education Program at Queens College and is the co-founder and project director of TIME 2000. Dr. Elliott Bird is a professor at LIU Post and a math consultant. Maxine Leonescu was the Director of Mathematics in District 11, Bronx. NY, a consultant and the coordinating and lead mentor for the New York State Mathematics Mentors. Their brief biographies and previous awardees can be found at nysams.amtnys.org. NYSAMS hosted the 9th Annual Leadership Summit in September and had as keynote speakers Candace Shyer from NYS Education Department and Dr. Tim McNamara, ASCD Faculty and a member of the PARCC content review committee.

The NCSM regional conference will be held on October 16 in Baltimore, Maryland, "Digging Deeper: Leadership Tools for the Common Core Era." This conference is the day before the NCTM Regional conference. The sessions will focus on Algebraic thinking across grades K-5; NCSM's Great Tasks, K-5 and 6-12; and NCSM's Situations project. The lunch keynote speaker is Catherine Fosnot, Director of Mathematics in the City (MitC) and author of the new Contexts for Learning Mathematics series.

The Association Of Teachers of Mathematics in New England, ATMNE, is hosting their annual conference on October 24 and 25 in Killington, Vermont. ATMNE is a consortium of organizations of mathematics teachers from Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont. The keynote speakers are Jason Zimba, Lead author of Common Core State Standards in Mathematics; Shelbi Cole , the director of mathematics for the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium; and Haley Freman ,Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and member of the Core Leadership Group for PARCC. For more information go to www.atmne.net.

The Association of Mathematics Teachers of New York State, AMTNYS, is hosting their 63rd Annual Conference in Buffalo, New York, November 7-9. The keynote speaker is Karen D. King, PhD, Program Director at the National Science Foundation in the Division of Research on Learning in Formal and Informal Settings in the Education and Human Resources Directorate and Mathemagician, Ed Barszcz will perform during the Evening Gala. For more information go to www.amtnys.org.

We welcome Beryl Szwed as the New York State Team Leader. Please contact your NCSM State Team leaders (listed on the side bar) or me with any information you would like posted. If you are planning an upcoming conference, please contact me at . As you plan you local and state conferences, please invite an NCSM leader to speak and contact me for NCSM information and handouts to distribute. I hope I have the opportunity to see many of you at the various state conferences or at the NCSM regional in Baltimore, Maryland, October 16, 2013 and in New Orleans on April 7-9, 2014 for our NCSM Annual Conference.

Reach out to your colleagues and invite them to join NCSM. Help us build our mathematics education leadership community.

Wishing you a wonderful beginning to the school year!

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)