Region S1 Report - Winter 2013/2014

News from the Southern 1 Region
Wanda Audrict, Southern 1 Regional Director
Winter 2013/2014

It is now very much winter of school year 2013-2014 and it has been an exciting "sophomore " year for me in representing NCSM Southern 1 Region. This fall, I had the pleasure of attending two state leaders' conferences in the region, the Georgia Council of Supervisors of Mathematics (GCSM) and the South Carolina Leaders of Mathematics Education (SCLME). Everyone was eager to learn more about NCSM resources and especially about "Great Tasks". Great Tasks was a driver of conversations at the GCSM Fall meeting, and I was the presenter of the Great Tasks session during the SCLME Pre-Conference.

I have also had the opportunity to work with several districts and the Southern Regional Educational Board (SREB) with the Mathematics Design Collaborative implementation. We have focused on Formative Assessment, Standards for Mathematical Practice, and Student-Centered Instructional Strategies. Teachers have been eager to collaborate as Common Core State Standards - Mathematics are implemented and they prepare for upcoming assessments. Both assessment consortiums (PARCC and SBAC) have released many sample items.

For PARCC prototypes, check out: www.parcconline.org/samples/item-task-prototypes

For Smarter Balanced a sample online test can be found at: sbacpt.tds.airast.org/student

You can find many additional resources by clicking the "CCSS" link on the NCSM website. Be sure to try "Illustrating the Standards for Mathematical Practice". Other excellent resources include Inside Mathematics at www.insidemathematics.org and the Mathematics Assessment Project (MAP) at map.mathshell.org.uk/materials

We have so many resources across our region. NCSM is the conduit that enables us to maximize these connections and learn from one another through networking, communicating, supporting, and motivating one another.

Please be reminded that if you are planning for an upcoming state conference, let me know if you need an NCSM leader to come speak or if you would like NCSM information and handouts sent to your district.

State events being held in our region are listed in the calendar section of this page. If you don't see your event listed, please just contact me () and I will get it listed for you.

Please reach out to your colleagues and INVITE them to join NCSM. Help us build our mathematics education leadership community.

Affiliates: Does your state math association want to be an affiliate with NCSM? NCSM invites state, regional and provincial mathematics leadership organizations that meet the criteria to become an affiliate of NCSM. We hope that you will consider this opportunity to work more closely with NCSM and to gain benefit from the association.

Finally, as you are planning for spring, please check the Conference and Events section of the NCSM website. The NCSM Board, Conference Committees, and volunteers are preparing for the April 2014 NCSM annual meeting in New Orleans. Check out the online planner, the conference preview, and registration

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)