Region W2 Report - Winter 2013/2014

News from the Western 2 Region
Hope Bjerke, Western 2 Regional Director
Winter 2013/2014

Happy Holidays to all Western 2 Region NCSM members. I hope you have had a Happy Thanksgiving and are looking forward to more celebrating with family and friends during December. I will be traveling to Washington, DC and Philadelphia to spend time with my two children and three grandchildren. I don't get to see them nearly enough.

I am packing my bags this week and heading for the CMC-North Mathematics Conference at Asilomar. This is an annual event for me - an opportunity each year to reflect on all that has happened in mathematics education and to gear-up for another year with a new energy that is so easily found at Asilomar. If you have never had the opportunity to come to Carmel, walk through the historic grounds of Asilomar located right on the ocean complete with sand dunes and wind swept trees, then it is an event you should put on your 'bucket list.' And the math conference is one of the best there is. So you could count this trip as work and write off the expenses on your taxes. What a deal!

I am so pleased to hear that our region has a new Director who will begin her term in April at the annual conference in New Orleans. She is Nancy Drickey from McMinnville, Oregon. Yes, you read that correctly, OREGON. This will be the first time we have had a Regional Director from Oregon and she is going to bring lots of new ideas on developing leadership. Welcome aboard, Nancy!

Speaking of New Orleans, have you registered yet? You should have received a brochure in the mail and you can go on-line also. Registration is open and housing is filling fast so don't delay. I am looking forward to renewing my southern experience in New Orleans. If you have heard my accent, you know that is where I got it. Have a great day and thanks for all you do for our kids!

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)