Region W2 Report - Spring 2014

News from the Western 2 Region
Hope Bjerke, Western 2 Regional Director
Spring 2014

I am writing this, my last report for the Western 2 Region, with mixed emotions. I think back to three years ago when I was anxiously awaiting the Annual Conference of 2011 and my turn to serve as your Regional Director. I was excited about the opportunity to work with such an outstanding group of leaders from all parts of the United States and Canada. And I was not one bit disappointed in the caliber of their leadership. Suzanne Mitchell, Cathy Carroll, and all the others were such good role models for hard work and high standards for service. They all led by example and made it easy to find one's place and feel part of the team. I will miss being on the board and getting to help with decisions at the national level. And I will miss seeing all of the new friends I have made and especially working with all the great people from this region. This has been a great ride.

I am excited to introduce your new Regional Director, Nancy Drickey, from McMinnville, Oregon. Nancy was one of the first people I met in my new position three years ago as she was a State Team Leader from Oregon and volunteered to serve on most of the committees where we needed help. She was also very supportive of NCSM in Oregon and helped us make new connections with the teacher leaders there. I know Nancy will be a great Director for our region and will be able to make many connections in the Northwest where we need more members. She is a professor in the Department of Education at Linfield College in McMinnville and is very involved with the Oregon Council of Teachers of Mathematics and especially with the Oregon Math Leaders. I look forward to passing my job on to her and watching with pride as she moves NCSM to an even higher presence in the west.

We have a few exciting events happening in the next few months in our region that you should know about. California Math Council, Central Section, is holding their Common core Math Symposium on March 14 - 15 in Fresno, CA, at the Holiday Inn Downtown. Contact Michelle Standlee at for more information and registration. Oregon Math Leaders 2014 is set for August 2-4, at Linfield College in McMinnville. You can contact Stephanie Blair at for more information. I highly recommend both of these events.

Thank you to all of you for your kindness and support and thanks for all you do for our kids.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)