Region E1 Report -Summer 2014

News from the Eastern 1 Region
Suzanne Libfeld, Eastern 1 Regional Director
Summer 2014

The 46th NCSM annual conference this year, held in New Orleans in April was a huge success! We had over 30 members at the Eastern Region 1 Caucus, where members networked and shared successful initiatives in their states. We welcome a new team leader, John Wolfe, representing New York State. The conference sessions were not only stimulating, they provided outstanding opportunities to network with colleagues from across the world! We were delighted that educators from Finland attended our conference. There were many informative sessions on the Leadership Resources provided by NCSM. I encourage you to take some time looking through all of the valuable resources on the website, especially a new addition, the Great Modeling Tasks in Three Acts. Many of the presentations and power points are posted on the website. I urge you to browse through them, as they will support you in the work you do.

The 47th Annual Conference will be held in the Eastern 1 Region in Boston in 2015. Anne Collins from Massachusetts and I are members of the conference committee. I hope you register to volunteer at the conference, stuffing bags, working the registration desk, etc. The volunteers this year had a great time working together and welcoming educators who attended the conference. I hope to see as many members from the Eastern 1 Region as possible to take advantage of this tremendous opportunity for personal and professional development.

Congratulations to the Eastern 1 organizations that are new affiliates. The New York State Association of Mathematics Supervisors, President Juanita Maltese, and the Vermont Math Leadership Council, President Tracy Watterson, . The Vermont Math Leadership Council is hosting a summer workshop in August.

Does your math association want to be an affiliate with NCSM? NCSM invites state, regional and provincial mathematics leadership organizations that meet the criteria (listed on the website) to become an affiliate of NCSM. We hope that you will consider this opportunity to work more closely with NCSM and to gain benefit from the association.

This Fall is brimming with many state conferences. Please check the events calendar below this message to plan your professional development activities. If you are involved in planning regional and state conferences, please contact me if you would like a NCSM leader to come speak at your state conference, and if you would like information, handouts and NCSM materials for upcoming events.

Wishing you a well deserved restful and relaxing summer!

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)