Region E2 Report - Summer 2014

News from the Eastern 2 Region
Bill Barnes, Eastern 2 Regional Director
Summer 2014

Reflections: This school year provided all of us with unprecedented challenges and opportunities. The transition to Common Core, for most of us, is in full swing and our leadership skills and knowledge are being put to good use. To that end, the appropriately titled It's Time: Themes and Imperatives for Mathematics Education burst onto the scene in April to provide all of us with consistent rationale, language, structure to move forward together. Though most of us like a lighter read during the summer break (HA!), I recommend adding this book to your reading list, taking time to write down your reactions, thoughts, and ideas. In the near future, I will be looking for a cadre of leaders interested in forwarding these ideas in an effort to strengthen our practice through collaboration. Stay tuned. In the meantime, enjoy some well-deserved time with family and friends. Give your brain a chance to recharge so that you make, innovate, create, and inspire those your lead. Have a great summer!

Eastern 2 Regional Team Leaders: We are fortunate to have an inspirational and talented group of leaders who have stepped forward to represent each state and district in our region. If you have thoughts or ideas, or would like to become involved with the NCSM, please reach out to your state team leader. (or email me directly). A very special thanks to those listed below. Also, a very special thanks to the other leaders in each state that agreed to serve on a statewide leadership team.

• Delaware: Renee Parsley () and Jamilla Riser ()
  • Maryland: Ed Nolan () and Sue Vohrer ()
  • New Jersey: Jill Perry () and Dianna Sopala ()
  • Pennsylvania: Jane Wilburne ()
  • Washington DC: John Neral ()
  • West Virginia: If you are interested in representing WVA, please email Bill directly

NCSM Leadership Academy: The 2014 NCSM Summer Leadership Academy will focus on expanding and deepening participants' knowledge about the role of formative assessment in instruction, implementation of the CCSS, and as a means to powerfully impact results on next generation summative assessments. The academy will be held in Little Rock, AK on June 30 - July 2, 2014.

Helpful Resources: If you haven't had the opportunity to do so, please check out these exciting leadership resources.

• Great Modeling Tasks in Three Acts - Worthwhile tasks fully annotate with lesson guidelines, videos, and PowerPoint presentation. Special thanks to Dan Meyer, Gwen Zimmerman, and Eric Milou for their efforts with this project.
  • Jump Start - A growing set of ready-to-go modules designed to deepen the conversation around formative assessment processes ion the mathematics classroom. Special thanks to Ana Floyd, Jeane Joyner, and Katherine Mawhinney for their efforts with this project.

Stay in Touch:

• Please keep in mind that if you are planning for an upcoming state conference, let me know if you need an NCSM leader to come speak or if you would like NCSM information and handouts for your district. I look forward to learning of your great works in the coming school year.
  • Please send me dates and information related to events in our region. I am happy to promote these events on our regional calendar.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)