Region S1 Report - Summer 2014

News from the Southern 1 Region
Wanda Audrict, Southern 1 Regional Director
Summer 2014

As the 2013-14 school year comes to a close and summer arrives, all of us at NCSM are preparing many exciting events for the fall of 2014. Note the NCSM Fall Leadership Seminar is in our region (Richmond, VA) on Wednesday November 12, 2014 which coincides with the NCTM regional conference. You can register online for the NCSM Fall Leadership Seminar.

I hope to see many of you from the Southern 1 Region there.

There is a great professional development opportunity this summer. Consider attending the NCSM Summer Leadership Academy in Little Rock, Arkansas, June 30-July 2. The focus this summer is on expanding and deepening participants' knowledge about the role of formative assessment in instruction, in implementation of the CCSS, and as a means to powerfully impact results on next generation summative assessments.

We had a terrific conference in New Orleans this spring and Southern 1 was well represented. We had a very active and engaged group of participants in our regional caucus session. Thanks to all who attended.

As for common core news, I urge you check out assessment resources. As you may know, both assessment consortiums (PARCC and SBAC) have released many sample items. For PARCC prototypes, check out: www.parcconline.org/samples/item-task-prototypes

For Smarter Balanced a plethora of items can be found at: www.smarterbalanced.org/sample-items-and-performance-tasks

Also at the NCSM website, you can find many resources by clicking the "CCSS" tab. I especially like "Illustrating the Standards for Mathematical Practice". Other powerful resources include Inside Mathematics at www.insidemathematics.org and the Mathematics Assessment Project (MAP) at map.mathshell.org.uk/materials

State events being held in our region can be listed in the calendar section of this page. If you don't see your event listed, please just contact me () and I will get it listed for you. So, please don't forget to email me with dates to add to our regional calendar of upcoming events of interest to our members.

Finally, please reach out to your colleagues and INVITE them to join NCSM. Help us build our mathematics education leadership community.

Enjoy your summer!

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)