Region W1 Report - Summer 2014

News from the Western 1 Region
Mona Toncheff, Western 1 Regional Director
Summer 2014

Congratulations on a successful 2013-2014 school year. This year marks a milestone as a parent. My first born graduated from high school and is embarking on the next journey in her life, college. As a high school teacher, I have participated in many high school graduations and experienced the joy watching my students end their high school career and move forward. It was different as a parent! The traditions, speeches, walking across the stage, and throwing the caps took on a special meaning. Graduation was amazing and I am so proud of her accomplishments. This closing celebration of her K-12 education also made me think of the teachers that have supported her over the last thirteen years, believed in her, and pushed her to meet her goals. I am so grateful for the educators that have truly impacted her.

A favorite quote of mine is from Dylan Wiliam, "Teacher, know thy impact." As the end of the school year approaches, take a moment to evaluate your impact. What were the highlights of your year? What went well? What would you do differently? This reflection is important as we finish up the school year and make plans for the 2014-2015 school year.

Summer Professional Development: Below are some upcoming NCSM professional development opportunities starting this summer. These continual learning events are fabulous opportunities to network with other math leaders in your region or via technology to share ideas and bounce questions of each other.

Leadership academy: This summer's Leadership Academy, Mathematics Leadership at Work: Deepening Formative Assessment Knowledge to Prepare for Next Generation Summative Assessments, is June 30-July 2, 2014 in North Little Rock, Arkansas.

Fall Webinar information on It's Time: www.mathedleadership.org/events/webinars.html

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)