Region W1 Report - Fall 2014

News from the Western 1 Region
Mona Toncheff, Western 1 Regional Director
Fall 2014

Another beginning of a teaching season is upon us! This season is an exciting year for teachers and leaders in our region. Many of the states are in full implementation of new standards. These same states are preparing for new state assessments designed to assess content standards and the mathematical habits of minds, mathematical practices. Whatever role we hold, either administrator, director of math, curriculum supervisor, coaches or teachers, we are all preparing for the YEAR OF CHANGE. This year, we will embrace CHANGE as this will be the norm as we focus on the content and instructional shifts to ensure all students are college and career ready.

There are several professional development opportunities in our region this fall to assist with assessment and instructional expectations on the horizon for mathematics. When you scroll to the end of this message, you'll find a rolling calendar of events that list both NCSM and our regional activities by date. To keep information up to date, feel free to contact your NCSM state team leader (listed on the side bar) or me to share the information that needs to be posted.

Upcoming Region Conferences: Check out the Western Region 1 pinterest board view other math educational events and resources in your region. pinterest.com/mtoncheff/ncsm-western-region-1

Feel free to contact me at or any of the state team leaders (emails listed to the right) if you have any questions or concerns. Have a great opening season and I hope to see many of you at the upcoming annual conference next April in Boston.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)