Region E1 Report - Winter 2014/2015

News from the Eastern 1 Region
Suzanne Libfeld, Eastern 1 Regional Director
Winter 2014/2015

The NCSM Annual Conference, Shining the Light on Learning will be held in the Eastern 1 Region in Boston, Massachusetts. Many thanks to Anne Collins for serving as the local arrangements chair. Exciting events are planned for our visit to Boston. We hope you will join us!

In Eastern Region 1, the following professional organizations are affiliates of NCSM: Association of Mathematics Teachers in New England (ATMNE), Vermont Math Leadership Council (VMLC), Association of Teachers of Mathematics in Maine (ATOMIM), and The New York State Association of Mathematics Supervisors (NYSAMS). All professional organizations are invited to apply for Affiliate status.

Highlights from two of our affiliates:

New York State Association of Mathematics Supervisors (NYSAMS)

In September, NYSAMS hosted the Seventh Annual Hall of Fame for Mathematics Educators in Albany, NY. The honorees were Dr. Gerald R. Rising and Bill Caroscio. Their brief biographies and previous awardees can be found at nysams.org. Nominations for the 2015 Hall of Fame are open. NYSAMS hosted the 10th Annual Leadership Summit in September and presented a panel discussing edTPA, moderated by Joanne Powers; Susan Brockley from the Office of Curriculum and Instruction, NYSED addressed the attendees regarding curriculum and assessments; Dana Morse spoke about TI technology and Suzanne Libfeld did a presentation about It's TIME and also featured the outstanding resources of NCSM. Congratulations to the newly elected officers of NYSAMS: Heidi Bromley, President; Ronni David, President-Elect; Jim Matthews, Vice President.

Vermont Math Leadership Council (VMLC)

The VMLC hosted a half-day workshop in which they discussed their responsibilities in their work, and began to define their role as math leaders. In addition, they held their 2nd annual membership meeting in October. Congratulations to the newly elected Board members: President Elect-Julie Conrad; Treasurer-Patty Kelly; Members At Large-Elaine Watson, Mary Calder, Sue Abrams, and Sandi Stanhope. President-Mary Fitzgerald, Past President-Tracy Watterson and Secretary-Jean Sequeira continue to serve as well. Their membership continues to grow!

Please contact me or your NCSM State Team leaders listed on the Regional Director, Eastern US 1 page with any information you would like posted. If you are planning an upcoming conference or would like to share information from your organization please contact me at . As you plan you local and state conferences, please invite an NCSM leader to speak and contact me for NCSM information and handouts to distribute. I am looking forward to seeing you in Boston, Massachusetts, April 13-15, 2015 for our NCSM Annual Conference. Reach out to your colleagues and invite them to join NCSM. Help us build our mathematics education leadership community.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)