Region S1 Report - Winter 2014/2015

News from the Southern 1 Region
Wanda Audrict, Southern 1 Regional Director
Winter 2014/2015

As 2014-2015 winter weather sweeps in, it has been a busy and interesting fall term for me in representing NCSM Southern 1 Region. This fall, I had the pleasure of attending the North Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCCTM) Directors' meeting and the NCCTM Conference in Greensboro, North Carolina. I also represented NCSM at the NCTM Regional Conference in Richmond Virginia and presented the JUMP START Formative Assessment session during the NCSM Fall Leadership Seminar in Richmond. Additionally, we shared NCSM materials and information with the Florida Association of Math Supervisors (FAMS) during the October 20-22, 2014 Conference at Palm Harbor, Florida. This fall, I also participated with the joint Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE) and the National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics (NCSM) Formative Assessment Steering Committee as we facilitated the Oct 12-14, 2014 working meeting at the University of Michigan. This meeting hosted 20 plus scholars and leaders with expertise in significant frameworks/tools/approaches as we continued our work with effective implementation of formative assessment. Learn more about this exciting work in upcoming articles in AMTE and NCSM newsletters.

I have also had the opportunity to continue my work with several districts and the Southern Regional Educational Board (SREB) with the Mathematics Design Collaborative implementation. We have focused on Formative Assessment, Standards for Mathematical Practice, and Student-Centered Instructional Strategies. Teachers have been eager to collaborate as Common Core State Standards - Mathematics are implemented and they prepare for upcoming assessments. Both assessment consortiums (PARCC and SBAC) have released many sample items.

For PARCC prototypes, check out: For Smarter Balanced a sample online test can be found at: sbacpt.tds.airast.org/student

You can find many additional resources by clicking the CCSS link on the NCSM website. Be sure to try Illustrating the Standards for Mathematical Practice. Other excellent resources include Inside Mathematics and the Mathematics Assessment Project (MAP).

We have so many resources across our region. NCSM is the conduit that enables us to maximize these connections and learn from one another through networking, communicating, supporting, and motivating one another. Have you used the Great Modeling Tasks in Three Acts, Great Tasks, It's TIME, Coaching Corner and JUMP START Formative Assessment modules?

Please be reminded that if you are planning for an upcoming state conference, let me know if you need an NCSM leader to come speak or if you would like NCSM information and handouts sent to your district. State events being held in our region are listed in the calendar section of this page. If you don't see your event listed, please just contact me () and I will get it listed for you.

Membership: Please reach out to your colleagues and INVITE them to join NCSM. Help us build our mathematics education leadership community.

Affiliates: Does your state math association want to be an affiliate with NCSM? NCSM invites state, regional and provincial mathematics leadership organizations that meet the criteria to become an affiliate of NCSM. We hope that you will consider this opportunity to work more closely with NCSM and to gain benefit from the association.

Finally, as you are planning for spring, please check the Conference and Events section of the NCSM website. The NCSM Board, Conference Committees, and volunteers are preparing for the April 2015 NCSM annual meeting in Boston, Massachusetts. Check out the online planner, the conference preview, and registration.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)