Region S2 Report - Winter 2014/2015

News from the Southern 2 Region
Linda Griffith, Southern 2 Regional Director
Winter 2014/2015

I have been on the road this fall. I was able to attend the Mississippi Council of Teachers of Mathematics meeting in Clinton, MS on September 19-20, 2014. It was a great meeting and I meet so many great mathematics teachers and leaders. I was honored to do the luncheon talk at this meeting.

My next stop was in Shreveport, La where I attended the Louisiana Association of Teachers of Mathematics meeting on October 20-22, 2014. This meeting was co-sponsored by the Louisiana Science Teachers Association. It was an honor to do a session at this meeting where I shared information about NCSM resources. Again I made many new friends.

Next, I was at home in Arkansas for the Arkansas Curriculum Conference sponsored by the Arkansas Council of Teachers of Mathematics, the Arkansas Science Teachers Association, the Arkansas Council for the Social Studies and the Arkansas Council of Teacher of English and Language Arts. The Arkansas Association of Mathematics Leaders sponsored a pre-conference on It's TIME: Themes and Imperative for Mathematics Education and other NCSM resources. Over 40 mathematics education leaders from across the state attended and we were honored to have Valerie Mills, President of NCSM with us for most of the day. Valerie gave a great keynote. Suzanne Mitchell and Vanessa Cleaver, two members of the It's TIME writing team, shared their experiences in creating this great resource for mathematics education leaders. In the afternoon participants attended breakout sessions on Modeling in 3 Acts, Jump Start Formative Assessment Professional Development Modules, and Illustrating the Standards for Mathematical Practice.

Next on my fall travel agenda was a trip to Houston, TX to attend the NCSM Fall Leadership Seminar. It was great! Valerie Mills, Steve Leinwand, Cathy Fosnot and Denise Brady did a great job helping us think deeply about the imperatives for change outlined in It's TIME. Following the Leadership Seminar, I stayed over to work at the NCSM booth at the NCTM Regional Meeting in Houston. It was great to meet so many mathematics leaders that did not know about NCSM and to be able share information with them about what a great organization NCSM is!

There were other meetings in our region this fall that I was not able to attend. I am sure that TASM had a great meeting in Austin on October 20-21, 2014 and I look forward to joining them for their spring meeting on February 20, 2015. I also hope the Alabama Council of Teachers of Mathematics has a great Fall Forum in Birmingham, AL on October 23-24, 2014.

As the holidays approach I hope everyone can look back at this fall as I do and think: I learned and grew as a mathematics leader this semester and I look forward to continuing to learn and grow this winter and spring and for the rest of my career.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)