Region W1 Report - Winter 2014/2015

News from the Western 1 Region
Mona Toncheff, Western 1 Regional Director
Winter 2014/2015

The school year is in full swing and it has been an exciting "final" year representing Western Region 1. I had the pleasure of attending two state conferences in the region, the Montana Council Teachers of Mathematics and the Arizona Teachers of Mathematics. I also attended the inaugural annual conference for AZ Mathematics Leaders, an excellent opportunity for mathematics leaders, varying roles and responsibilities, to have high impact discussions on teaching and learning. Every teacher I met was eager to learn more about their new state assessments and share strategies for solid implementation of their new standards. As 2015 approaches, the level of collaboration across our region is at an all-time high.

Upcoming Annual Conferences: Do you have plans to attend the 47th NCSM annual conference this year? The annual conference is in Boston, MA., April 13-15, Shining the light on Learning: A Vision for Mathematics Leaders. Sessions are packed with strategies for effective teaching, assessing and learning rich mathematics and the strand descriptions can be found on the NCSM website. Here is a great opportunity to enlarge your network of resources and tools.

Affiliates: Does your state math association want to be an affiliate with NCSM? NCSM invites state, regional and provincial mathematics leadership organizations that meet the criteria to become an affiliate of NCSM. We hope that you will consider this opportunity to work more closely with NCSM and to gain benefit from the association.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)