Region W2 Report - Winter 2014/2015

News from the Western 2 Region
Nancy Drickey, Western 2 Regional Director
Winter 2014/2015

As a new NCSM regional director, Fall 2014 was an exciting time full of excellent professional development opportunities.

September 4-6, I attended the Teachers of Teachers of Mathematics Annual Conference in Monmouth, Oregon on the campus of Western Oregon University. It was great to gather with colleagues around the state for sharing ideas about research and teaching.

October 9-11, I attended the Northwest Math 53rd Annual Conference "Reaching the Pinnacle in Mathematics" in Portland, Oregon. This conference was sponsored by the math teachers' councils of Oregon, Washington and British Columbia, and had over 140 sessions. I enjoyed the sessions, seeing friends and former students, and found the keynotes by Jo Boaler, Dan Meyer, and Irv Lubliner to be particularly inspiring.

October 17-19, I attended an NCSM board meeting in Arizona. I continue to be inspired by members of the board and their dedication to fostering excellence in leadership in mathematics education.

October 23-25, I had planned to attend the CMC-South 54th Annual Conference in Palm Springs but missed out as I was in Utah for the birth of our new grandson, Daxon Davis. His arrival was fraught with complications but I am so thankful all is well and he is a very healthy baby boy. I heard the conference was great. The theme was "Common Core Mathematics: Building Competent and Confident Problem Solvers". They had over 280 sessions including many featured speakers such as Cathy Seeley, Dan Meyer, Gail Burril, Karim Ani, Marcy Cook, and Kim Sutton. I look forward to attending next year.

December 5-7, I will be attending the CMC-North Annual Conference "Discovering the Beauty of Mathematics" held at Asilomar near Monterey, CA. I look forward to getting to know members of CMC and sharing news about NCSM.

Now is the perfect time to look forward to next spring and the 47th NCSM Annual Conference held in Boston April 13-15, 2015. The conference is designed to provide you with a rich professional development experience that supports you in "Shining the Light on Learning" as you lead mathematics instruction. The conference registration, housing, and program details can be found by going to mathedleadership.org and clicking on the annual conference link.

Please be reminded that if you are planning for an upcoming state conference, let me know if you need an NCSM leader to come speak or if you would like NCSM information and handouts sent to your district.

State events being held in our region are listed in the calendar section of this page. If you don't see your event listed, please just contact me () and I will get it listed for you.

Please reach out to your colleagues and INVITE them to join NCSM. Help us build our mathematics education leadership community.

Happy Holidays!

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)