Canada Report - Spring 2015

News from the Canada Region
Carol Matsumoto, Canada Regional Director
Spring 2015

Spring will be a long time coming here in Winnipeg. Although there has been less snow this winter as compared to last year we're still experiencing severe wind chill during this last week of February. I'm really looking forward to being in Boston for the NCSM Annual Conference, SHINING THE LIGHT ON LEARNING: A Vision for Mathematics Leaders to be held from April 13-15, 2015 at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center. I recently heard that as of mid-February there are over 300 more registrants than last year's conference in New Orleans. If you don't already know this the NCSM program is now on the website.

Please attend the Canadian Caucus to be held on Tuesday, April 14 from 3:30-4:15 pm in room 153C. There are topics that all regional caucuses will be discussing but the provincial leaders also wanted a Canadian flavour. When the provincial leaders had their last conference call, the topics suggested were updates on

1. how boards/districts/professional organizations are communicating positive messages to the general public and to parents
  2. how to get French boards involved in NCSM
  3. social media in Canada (math education)
  4. names of keynote speakers particularly Canadian

If you have any other suggestions please feel free to email me ahead of time or suggest it at the caucus meeting for informal discussion.

I just came back from a February BCAMT meeting in Vancouver where I did a presentation on the NCSM website. The cherry blossoms were blooming and the grass was green. It was hard to come back home to -24 C high temperatures.

I will be in Halifax in March to present some NCSM information to some Nova Scotia provincial leaders. This is a change of date from January 20th.

This will be my last report as the Regional Director from Canada. The three years have gone by very quickly. I've really enjoyed this position and meeting you at the NCSM annual conferences and at your provincial conferences. Just to let you know that I have been appointed to the NCSM Board for another two years as the Affiliates chair.

I like to thank the following provincial leaders who represented NCSM at their provincial conferences/meetings, at the annual NCSM conferences (in some cases) and on the NCSM provincial leaders conference calls. They also provided provincial reports for the Canadian web page.

• Alberta - Debbie Duvall, Marj Farris
  • British Columbia - Marc Garneau ( also incoming Regional Director for Canada)
  • Manitoba - Dianne Soltess
  • Nova Scotia - Robin Harris
  • Ontario - Peter (Pierre) Saarimaki
  • Quebec - Cheryl Cantin

I'd also like to thank some other leaders who wrote reports and/or were NCSM provincial leader contacts - Cathy Canavan-McGrath (Northwest Territories), Ian Donnelly (Manitoba), Donna Karsten (Nova Scotia), Amy Lin (Ontario), Sherry Perih (Manitoba)

This is the preamble for Marc Garneau's report about the Surrey School District Numeracy Project. Attached are the report and a brochure.

The Surrey School District is the largest school district in British Columbia, consisting of close to 70000 students in 101 elementary (K-7) schools and 19 secondary (8-12) schools. Back in 2008, in response to a growing interest in numeracy from school staff's, the District Numeracy Team (consisting at the time of five K-12 Numeracy Helping Teachers) embarked on a long-term plan to support interested schools. And thus was born the Numeracy Project. Through targeted & purposeful work to date -- side-by-side teaching & planning, facilitated discussions, creation & implementation of learning resources, etc. -- so much has been accomplished to fulfill the Ministry and District's vision for the importance of Numeracy for our learners - we see the collaborative culture growing in our schools, teachers shifting their instruction and assessment putting learners at the centre, the development of the capacity (mathematical & pedagogical) of our teacher leaders to support their staffs, and engaged students who can make sense of mathematics and communicate their understanding. A momentum has been initiated that continues to grow and evolve. At its peak, the Numeracy Project was active in 60 of the 101 elementary schools. Under the support and direction of Dr. Elisa Carlson, Director of Instruction, the transforming work continues through the efforts of Numeracy Helping Teachers Selina Millar, Chris Hunter, and Marc Garneau. Past members Sandra Ball and Shelagh Lim were instrumental in shaping the vision of the Numeracy Project and supporting schools in the years that followed. The first link below is a report created by Donna VanSant based upon feedback gathered through a survey and focus groups. The second link is a brochure that summarizes the vision, scope, and work of the Numeracy Project.

Developing Numeracy Through Problem Solving

ELEMENTARY NUMERACY PROJECT

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)