News from the Eastern 2 Region
Bill Barnes, Eastern 2 Regional Director
Reflections: The Annual Meeting in Boston is just around the corner and I can't help wondering how much more snow that city will receive before we arrive. Given the weather, I am especially looking forward to our annual convening. Having a chance to network, learn from, and develop new friendships with leaders from around the continent will provide some much needed "professional warmth", breaking the spell of this cold and harsh winter. The spring is a time of renewal. As the leaves start to return and the flowers begin to bloom, take some time with your teams to reflect on the progress you have made this school year. As always, be sure to celebrate the accomplishments of the past year. This era of mathematics reform has provided leaders with endless challenges and opportunities. You have undoubtedly made a significant and positive difference in the lives of those you lead. Don't take that for granted... this is hard work in a complex time. We are lucky to have you guiding the way!
NCSM Annual Conference: The 2015 NCSM Annual Conference in Boston will feature an amazing line up of speakers. Please join us at the regional caucuses to network and learn with leaders in our region. The regional caucus is listed as Session 276 (3:30 - 4:15) in room 156B. Hope to see you there! If you are presenting at the conference, please consider sharing your presentation day/time by tweeting my directly at @billjbarnes... I'd love to meet you and have the chance to learn from you!
Other featured sessions include...
- Leading instruction to leverage the Mathematics Practices for increased achievement: The focus will be on how leaders can help increase student achievement by facilitating teachers' implementation of the mathematical practices in their classrooms.
- Examining the opportunities and challenges of using technology to support teaching and learning mathematics: The focus will be on examples and suggestions of technology uses that successfully support student learning and/or challenges that accompany technology use and how they might be overcome: more than simply how to use the technological tool.
- Advancing formative assessment as an integral tool for understanding student thinking and guiding instruction: This strand will focus on how to use assessment as an integral tool for improved instruction.
- Exploring strategies and tools for mathematics leaders and coaches to support mathematics learning: This strand will focus on successful approaches to help new and veteran leaders increase student learning and understanding.
- Shifting practices to effectively implement the Common Core State Standards: Equity for all learners with focus, rigor, and depth: This strand will include equity topics with a specific interest in the shifts suggested by the Common Core State Standards. Even if your state is not participating in CCSS, there are components of the shifts that are important for improving student learning.
Upcoming State Conferences, Meetings, and Events: Tis the season of state and regional mathematics conferences. Please share the dates, locations, and other promotional information about your upcoming events to me and I will post them on our regional calendar.
Eastern 2 Regional Team Leaders: We are fortunate to have an inspirational and talented group of leaders who have stepped forward to represent each state and district in our region. If you have thoughts or ideas, or would like to become involved with the NCSM, please reach out to your state team leader. (or email me directly). A very special thanks to those listed below. Also, a very special thanks to the other leaders in each state that agreed to serve on a statewide leadership team.
- Delaware: Renee Parsley () and Jamilla Riser ()
- Maryland: Ed Nolan () and Sue Vohrer ()
- New Jersey: Jill Perry () and Dianna Sopala ()
- Pennsylvania: Jane Wilburne ()
- Washington DC: John Neral ()
- West Virginia: If you are interested in representing WVA, please email Bill directly
Stay in Touch:
- Please keep in mind that if you are planning for an upcoming state conference, let me know if you need an NCSM leader to come speak or if you would like NCSM information and handouts for your district. I look forward to learning of your great works in the coming school year.
- Please send me dates and information related to events in our region. I am happy to promote these events on our regional calendar.