Region C1 Report - Summer 2015

News from the Central 1 Region
Gwen Zimmermann, Central 1 Regional Director
Summer 2015

A big "thank you" to all of those who attended the Central 1 Caucus in Boston. We had about 80 people from Central 1 (the best attended caucus, by the way) who came together to network, brainstorm ideas, and share common challenges. Thanks to the input of this group and those of you who also provided input, even though you were not able to attend. The NCSM board is looking forward to spending some time this summer at the board meeting taking the feedback provided to us through the caucuses and from all the regions to inform our future work. We are here to serve our members!

For the last couple of years, I have used this RD report to share with you what has been happening in our region and what our team leaders have been doing. Instead, I wanted to take a slightly different approach. Some of us are contracted year round and some of us are contracted for less than 12 months. (Note: I intentionally did not say that some of us work year round as we all know that many of us work year round whether we are contracted to or not!) For this report, I want to share with you how some of the team leaders and I will be spending our summer as we seek to balance professional learning with perhaps some time for rejuvenation. Perhaps you might find some ideas or be able to share your ideas with others.

Marie Smerigan - MI

This summer I plan to take time to go through the NCSM website and learn about new resources that I will be able to share with educators. For instance, I have been offering professional learning on formative assessment but I hope to find ways to incorporate Jump Start Formative Assessment resources into my work.

Edna Bazik - IL

[This summer] I will be participating in two Active Mathematics Workshops which will be presented by Hope Martin and David Spangler. I will [also] be teaching a graduate level Mathematics Education course, MHE480B, Methods for Teaching Elementary School Mathematics, during the Summer 2015 term at the National Louis University campus site in Lisle, IL.

Steve Shadel - IL

I am excited to take some time this summer to spend time resting and rejuvenating with my wife. I think one of the greatest things a leader can do for their staff is to model balance in their life. I also will begin planning the professional development for my teachers during the 2015-2016 school year. I am excited to re-read Carol Dweck's work and Jo Boaler's new book What's Math Got To Do With It. I have found it essential to revisit professional development and collegial conversations around student mindset. Discussions on mindsets not only benefit instruction, but also benefits how we tackle obstacles in our adult lives.

Gwen Zimmermann - IL

Like Steve, I will seek to balance work and time with my husband and dogs. I am looking forward to the NCSM summer board meeting. Nothing is more invigorating as collaborating with like-minded professionals about new ideas and initiatives. Two areas of particular professional interest I want to explore this summer are adult mindsets and data protocols to use with teams. I want to dive into the Mindset Works website after seeing a captivating session in Boston to see what I might further learn about mindsets. As for the data protocols, it means revisiting the work of Bruce Wellman and Bob Garmston who have done much about collaborative group dynamics. The balance with the professional learning is taking every Friday off and combining some professional travel to California and Austin, TX, with personal time with my husband.

Be sure to look to our Central 1 regional calendar for upcoming events. If you know of a professional learning opportunity that you would like to have added to the calendar, send me an email. If you have a workshop or conference in mind, a link to the website with more detailed information about the event is very helpful.

Every year brings new and often even more demanding challenges. Yet summer is a time to reflect and enjoy. May you find a balance this summer between rest and rejuvenation. In the words of someone who embraces life, "My point is, life is about balance. The good and the bad. The highs and the lows. The piña and the colada," Ellen Degeneres. Take the summer to balance your piñas with your coladas!

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)