Canada Report - Summer 2015

News from the Canada Region
Marc Garneau, Canada Regional Director
Summer 2015

It is my privilege to begin my 3-year term as the NCSM Regional Director for Canada. It was great meeting so many Canadians at the 2015 NCSM Conference in Boston, especially at the Canadian caucus. Thank you to those who attended the caucus - we had great conversations that I really hope can continue. It's not too soon to begin planning for next year's conference in Oakland-San Francisco Bay Area. I hope to see you there.

Networking among mathematics teachers and leaders across Canada is an important goal for me. Towards this end I rely on Provincial leaders who represent NCSM at their provincial conferences/meetings, and in other ways as well. My future reports will be sure to include regional updates that they contribute, including stories of best practice. I would like to express my gratitude to them for their continued service, whom I call my Team Canada!

• Alberta - Debbie Duvall, Marj Farris
  • British Columbia - currently me
  • Manitoba - Dianne Soltess
  • Atlantic Canada (Nova Scotia) - vacant
  • Ontario - Peter (Pierre) Saarimaki
  • Quebec - Cheryl Cantin

Several provincial mathematics conferences take place this October. Be sure to check out what's available in your area:

Please let me know of any other events of interest to our members, and I'll be sure to get them added to the Events list. You may also have interest in the NCSM Leadership Academy taking place July 13-15 in Billings, Montana. The theme is "Mathematics Leadership in a Time of Change: Building Leaders at all Levels "

I very much look forward to visiting your region at some point during my term. Stay tuned for more information. In addition, one of the goals of Team Canada is to explore the translation of some of the NCSM Position Papers. It will be a long, but worthwhile process. We hope to have at least one done this year.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)