News from the Eastern 2 Region
Bill Barnes, Eastern 2 Regional Director
Reflections: The end of the school year is an excellent time to take stock on our impact on the systems we lead, the people we lead, and the students for whom we lead. These deeply personal reflections provide insights for our own professional growth. They serve to inform our actions with and for those we lead. I wanted to take a moment to share the questions (and shortened responses) that I pose to myself at this time of year. As you read through the list, I invite you to consider your own responses to these questions and I invite you to share your responses with a critical (trusted) friend, colleague, or with your team. If you are feeling particularly collaborative, I invite you to share something with our mathematics community at large using Twitter (share with me @billjbarnes) or Facebook. I strongly believe that there is incredible power in this level of transparent reflection. One additional challenge, try to frame your accomplishments as a celebration of those you lead. Consider following up with a phone call or email to that person/team to make sure they know how much you appreciate their work.
End of the Year Leadership Reflection Questions (and my sample response)
- How has my leadership (actions and decisions) positively impacted our equity and access goals this year?
- Continue to reach broader audiences of families and students to communicate "College Readiness" pathways… especially at early grades (and through our team's work on the http://hcpssfamilymath.weebly.com/ … thanks to Jon and his team)
- Working with a preK-12 team to determine how we might ensure that all students graduate having successfully completed 2 college level math courses
- How has my leadership (actions and decisions) positively impacted our teaching and learning goals this year?
- Interviewed 200+ students to gather input about their classroom learning experience
- Worked with teachers and teacher leaders to strengthen their capacity through curriculum development, math gatherings, etc… thanks to Jenny and the MISTs
- What do I wish I had done differently?
- I wish that I would have invested more time in the new evaluation system for our math coaches
- I wish that I would have advanced the mathematics teaching practices featured in Principles to Action; building connections among our current lenses and our new anchor doc
- How will I celebrate the accomplishments of our community?
- Nominate several teachers and leaders for statewide awards and recognition
- Write personal notes to those who have earn professional degrees/certification
- Expand use social media and new learning management system to spotlight members
Thanks for letting me share and I hope that you are motivated to share back. Have a great, and restorative, summer!
Upcoming State Conferences, Meetings, and Events: Tis the season of state and regional mathematics conferences. Please share the dates, locations, and other promotional information about your upcoming events to me and I will post them on our regional calendar.
- Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of Mathematics (www.pctm.org) - August 14-15 (Lancaster, PA)
- Maryland Council of Teachers of Math (www.marylandmath.org) - October 16 (Baltimore, MD)
Eastern 2 Regional Team Leaders: We are fortunate to have an inspirational and talented group of leaders who have stepped forward to represent each state and district in our region. If you have thoughts or ideas, or would like to become involved with the NCSM, please reach out to your state team leader. (or email me directly). A very special thanks to those listed below. Also, a very special thanks to the other leaders in each state that agreed to serve on a statewide leadership team.
- Delaware: Renee Parsley () and Jamilla Riser ()
- Maryland: Ed Nolan () and Andrew Todd ()
- New Jersey: Jill Perry () and Dianna Sopala ()
- Pennsylvania: TBA soon
- Washington DC: John Neral ()
- West Virginia: If you are interested in representing WVA, please email Bill directly
Stay in Touch:
- Please keep in mind that if you are planning for an upcoming state conference, let me know if you need an NCSM leader to come speak or if you would like NCSM information and handouts for your district. I look forward to learning of your great works in the coming school year.
- Please send me dates and information related to events in our region. I am happy to promote these events on our regional calendar.