Region W1 Report - Summer 2015

News from the Western 1 Region
Sandie Gilliam, Western 1 Regional Director
Summer 2015

Volunteers are at the heart of any good organization. I would like to thank Mona Toncheff for her service as regional director for the past three years and for her continuing service in her new position as second- and then first-vice president and conference chair for the 2017 NCSM Annual Conference in San Antonio.

The ski season in Colorado has wound down; the baseball season is ramping up. PARCC and SBAC test have finished. The school year 2014-15 is winding down. What are you ramping up? For me, summer is time for me to start my own professional development, so I am ready to tweak or try something new next year in my pre-service classes or outreach to you in my new regional director position. I finally have time to read many of the NCTM new books and resources that could help me better work with teachers trying to understand and adjust their practices to be more in line with CCSS-M. I will also be working with Jo Boaler at her Stanford Math Camp, where we will be focusing on growth mindset, patterns, visualization, and problem solving. I hope to share some of this work with you next year.

Summer has started. What professional opportunities will you take part in to help you ramp up your understandings?

If you missed the terrific conference in Boston this spring, or perhaps you are looking for a great professional opportunity this summer, consider attending the NCSM Summer Leadership Academy, being held in the Western 1 Region! Billings, Montana is the place to go from July 13-15 for Mathematics Leadership in a Time of Change: Building Leaders at all Levels.

Mark your calendars now for the many state conferences to be held in the fall, including:

• Sitka, Alaska (Oct 23-25); Alaska Council of Teachers of Mathematics
  • Tempe, Arizona (Sep 18-19; Arizona Council of Teachers of Mathematics, Arizona Math Leaders, and TODOS
  • Denver, Colorado (Sep 24-25); Colorado Council of Teachers of Mathematics
  • Billings, Montana (Oct 15-16); Montana Council of Teachers of Mathematics
  • Casper, Wyoming (Oct 26-27); Wyoming Council of Teachers of Mathematics

Wishing you rest, relaxation, reading, family time, travelling, and rejuvenation-whatever it takes to help you ramp up for the 2015-16 school year!

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)