Region W2 Report - Summer 2015

News from the Western 2 Region
Nancy Drickey, Western 2 Regional Director
Summer 2015

I would like to thank our State Team Leaders (STLs) for their support and efforts during my first year of service as regional director. A special thanks to past STLs: Sandy Christie (Washington) and Lisa Usher-Staats (Southern California). We miss you and wish you the best. I would also like to extend a sincere thank you to Tami Matsumoto as our new Washington STL, as well as our continuing STLs: Patty Sandoz and Mark Freed (Oregon); Mel Olson (Hawaii); Hope Bjerke (Northern California); Christine Roberts (Central California); and Diane Kinch and Annette Kitagawa (Southern California). If you have questions for our STLs, they are listed on the right hand side of this page along with their email addresses.

Did you get an email in early May from your STL? During a planning meeting held in Boston, we decided to try something new. As a result, I put together a newsletter of current NCSM information and upcoming events and sent it to the STLs for distribution to NCSM members and other math leaders in their state. The first regional newsletter was sent out the beginning of May. I am not sure if there is enough information to continue monthly during the summer, or if quarterly makes more sense. Stay tuned. Also, please let me know if you did not get an email in May.

We had a terrific conference in Boston this spring and Western 2 had the second largest number of attendees of all regions represented at the conference - not bad for being the farthest away from Boston! We also had one of the highest numbers for regional caucus attendance. Thanks to all who attended the conference and the caucus. We tried something new this year with caucus conversations where all regions contributed ideas to the same google doc during our separate sessions. The themes were about engaging leaders through: social justice, leadership, vision, productive culture, shifts in mindsets and beliefs, and systemic thoughts and actions. You may recognize these themes as they were taken from the recent NCSM publication, "It's T.I.M.E.: Themes and Imperatives for Mathematics Education." The NCSM Board will discuss the google doc at our summer board meeting and decide what further action is needed.

Are you looking for a great professional development opportunity this summer? Consider attending the NCSM Summer Leadership Academy in Billings, Montana, July 13-15. The focus this summer is on mathematics leadership in a time of change: building leaders at all levels.

Other events in our region are listed in the NCSM calendar. If you know of an upcoming event that is not listed in our events calendar, please contact me at

As the school year ends, I hope we can take time to reflect on our practice and set goals for next year. What worked? What didn't? Why? What progress have we made? What do we want to do differently next time? What are our new goals? After some thoughtful reflection, it is my hope that we will find time to relax, refresh, rejuvenate, and recharge our batteries. For me personally, I plan to take a vacation, spend more time with family and friends, enjoy the arrival of a new grandson in August, and catch up on my professional and leisure reading.

Happy Summer!

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)