Region E1 Report - Fall 2015

News from the Eastern 1 Region
Suzanne Libfeld, Eastern 1 Regional Director
Fall 2015

This Fall is filled with many conferences and celebrations. The New York State Association of Mathematics Supervisors, NYSAMS, is hosting the Eighth Annual NYS Mathematics Hall of Fame celebration September 25 in Albany, NY. The honorees are: Dr. Douglas H. Clements, Dr. Frances R. Curcio, Dr. Linda Curtis-Bey, Dr. William L. Farber and Dr. Margaret A. Farrell. Their brief biographies, previous awardees and registration information can be found at nysams.org. NYSAMS will host the 11th Annual Leadership Summit September 26. Keynote speakers are Susan Brockley, State Education Department, Office of Curriculum and Instruction and James and Judi Matthews of Siena College. Dana Morse will speak about TI technology and I will do a presentation about the outstanding resources of NCSM.

The NCSM Leadership Seminar, It's TIME: Using Imperatives to Support and Motivate Leaders in Mathematics Education: Shifting Beliefs and Mindsets will be held October 21 in Atlantic City, NJ. Join John Staley, Pat Baltzley, Lisa Scott and other leaders in mathematics education at these one-day seminars.

The Association of Teachers of Mathematics in New England, ATMNE, will hold their annual conference in Portland, Maine this year, October 29 and 30. We hope you can attend and "Show Us Your Moxie!" The keynote speakers are Don Balka, Past-President of TODOS, Diane Briars, President of NCTM, Dan Meyer and Greg Tang. Thanks to ATOMIM for hosting the conference this year. For more information go to atmne.net.

The Association of Teachers of Mathematics of New York State, AMTNYS, will hold their annual conference November 12-14 in Rochester, NY. The keynote speaker is Dan Meyer. For more information go to amtnys.org.

Next year the 48th conference will be in Oakland, California. I encourage you register to volunteer at the conference, stuffing bags, working the registration desk, etc. The volunteers this year had a great time working together and welcoming educators who attended the conference. I hope to see as many members from the Eastern 1 Region as possible to take advantage of this tremendous opportunity for personal growth and professional learning.

If you are involved in planning regional and state conferences, please contact me at if you would like a NCSM leader to come speak at your state conference, and if you would like information, handouts and NCSM materials to distribute.

Reach out to your colleagues and invite them to join NCSM. Help us build our mathematics education leadership community.

Wishing you a wonderful beginning to the school year!

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)