Region S1 Report - Fall 2015

News from the Southern 1 Region
Deborah Crocker, Southern 1 Regional Director
Fall 2015

My first few months as a member of the NCSM Board have been an exciting experience. The dedication and commitment of the leaders and members of NCSM is impressive! I am honored to be a part of this group.

As the new school year begins, think about ways to improve and extend your leadership role in your school, district, and state. How can you involve colleagues more? What can you do to improve mathematics teaching and learning? Are there projects to complete from last year? Do you have new goals and projects for this year? Reflect on your successes and plan for the future.

One way to demonstrate and improve leadership is through professional development. Many excellent professional development opportunities are available in the Southern I Region this fall. Some of them are:

• September 12-13 Renee Henry Leadership Seminar in Orlando, FL, the Florida Council of Teachers of Mathematics (FCTM)
  • October 15-17 Florida Council of Teachers of Mathematics (FCTM) 63rd Annual Conference in Orlando, FL
  • October 14 Georgia Council of Supervisors of Mathematics (GCSM) Fall Meeting in Madison, GA
  • October 14-16 Georgia Council of Teachers of Mathematics (GCTM) 56th Annual Conference at Rock
  • November 4 North Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCCTM) annual Fall Leadership Seminar in Greensboro, NC
  • November 5-6 North Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCCTM) 45th Annual State Mathematics Conference in Greensboro, NC
  • November 12-13 South Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics (SCCTM) Annual Fall Conference in Greenville, SC

If I do not attend your state conference or leadership event this year, I hope to do so sometime over the next two years. Please let me know the events, dates, and locations of these opportunities in your states. We can also post them on the NCSM web site.

I had the opportunity to meet several of you from the Southern I Region at the NCSM Annual Conference in Boston. I look forward to meeting, getting to know, and working with more of you in the future! I hope this school year is a wonderful one for all of you. I hope you will take advantage of the opportunities for professional development in your state or neighboring states in the spring. I hope to see some of you at the 48th NCSM Annual Conference in Oakland, CA on April 11-13, 2016. Stay in touch and share the activities of your organizations with me!

As you contemplate your role as a leader in mathematics education, remember the following this school year:

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."

John Quincy Adams

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)