News from the Southern 2 Region
Linda K. Griffith, Southern 2 Regional Director
The 2015-2016 has gotten underway for most folks in Southern Region 2. At the summer NCSSM Board meeting President John Staley gave us the following charge:
Now is the time for mathematics educators to "shift the conversation from an emphasis on standards and assessment to making mathematics meaningful, relevant, and accessible for each and every student."
I urge each of you to join me in taking on this task.
There are many opportunities for professional growth this fall in Southern Region 2. Probably most exciting is the fact that NCSM will host a Fall Leadership Seminar in Nashville, TN on November 17, 2015. This is a fabulous opportunity for mathematics education leaders to continue their professional development. Southern Region 2 was lucky to have NCSM Fall Leadership Seminar in Houston, TX last fall. Each year the NCSM Committee that prepares these seminars strives to select themes and speakers that are timely and relevant for leaders in mathematics education.
This year's theme is: It's TIME: Using Imperatives to Support and Motivate Leaders in Mathematics Education: Shifting Beliefs and Mindsets.
There will be an NCTM Regional in Nashville, TN on November 18-20 following the NCSM Fall Leadership Seminar.
The following state level meetings are planned for this fall in Southern Region 2:
- October 2-3, 2015 - Mississippi Council of Teachers of Mathematics Fall Conference, Oxford, MS
- October 19-20, 2015 - Texas Association of Supervisors of Mathematics Fall Meeting, Austin, TX
- October 22, 2015 - Alabama Council of Teachers of Mathematics Fall Forum, Birmingham, AL
- November 4, 2015 - Arkansas Association of Mathematics Leaders Meeting, Little Rock, AR
- November 5-6, 2015 - Arkansas Curriculum Conference, Little Rock, AR
- November 9-11, 2015 - Louisiana Association of Teachers of Mathematics/Louisiana Science Teachers Association Joint Conference, Baton Rouge, LA
The 2015-2016 school year promises lots of opportunities and challenges for mathematics educators, our network of mathematics education leaders in Southern 2 will continue to support and encourage each other in our work.