Region S1 Report - Winter 2015/2016

News from the Southern 1 Region
Deborah Crocker, Southern 1 Regional Director
Winter 2015/2016

So far, my first year as a member of the NCSM Board has been an exciting experience. The dedication and commitment of the leaders and members of NCSM is impressive and inspiring! I am happy to have met so many of you last fall. I hope to meet many others over the next two years.

Many excellent opportunities for professional development were offered in the Southern I Region this past fall. In September, the Florida Council of Teachers of Mathematics (FCTM) held the Renee Henry Leadership Conference in Orlando, FL. Affiliate leaders from across Florida attended. I was able to join them this fall. The conference was a wonderful way to recharge and prepare for the rest of this school year. It was a pleasure to meet so many wonderful members in Florida. The Florida Association of Mathematics Supervisors (FAMS) has just become one of our newest NCSM affiliates! Congratulations!

October was a busy month in Southern Region I. The Florida Council of Teachers of Mathematics (FCTM) held their 63rd Annual Conference in Orlando; the Georgia Council of Supervisors of Mathematics (GCSM) held their Fall Meeting in Madison, GA and the Georgia Council of Teachers of Mathematics (GCTM) held its 56th Annual Conference at Rock Eagle. I was also able to participate in both of these events. Both events were exciting and rewarding.

In November, the North Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCCTM) held their annual Fall Leadership Seminar and their 45th Annual State Mathematics Conference and the South Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics (SCCTM) held their Annual Fall Conference. I attended the two North Carolina events. They were exciting and informational.

If I did not attend your state conference or leadership event this year, I hope to do so sometime over the next two years. Please let me know the events, dates, and locations of these opportunities in your states. I can make plans to attend and make sure they are posted on the NCSM web site.

There are still more opportunities for professional development in Southern Region I during the spring of 2016. Some of them are:

• Georgia Council of Supervisors of Mathematics (GCSM) Winter Conference February 3-5, 2016 Jekyll Island Club, Jekyll Island, GA (gcsmonline.org)
  • Virginia Council of Teachers of Mathematics (VCTM) Annual Conference & Banquet March 4-5, 2016 University of Mary Washington-Stafford Campus (vctm.org)
  • North Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCCTM) Spring Leadership Seminar April 8, 2016 Greensboro, NC (ncctm.org)

Please let me know if I can help you in any way as your NCSM Regional Director. Send me information that I can include in my next web update or newsletter update. Take advantage of the opportunities for professional development in your state or neighboring states in the spring. I hope to see some of you at the 48th NCSM Annual Conference in Oakland, CA on April 11-13, 2016. I will e-mail information on regional caucuses and a state team leaders meeting closer to April.

Stay in touch and share the activities of your organizations with me!

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)