Region W2 Report - Winter 2015/2016

News from the Western 2 Region
Nancy Drickey, Western 2 Regional Director
Winter 2015/2016

This has been a busy year for leaders in Washington, California, Oregon, and Hawaii.

The 54th Annual Northwest Math Conference "Scaling New Heights" was held in Whistler, British Columbia on October 22-24, 2015. This conference is a joint venture between the BC Association of Math Teachers (BCAMT), the Oregon Council of Teachers of Mathematics (OCTM), the Puget Sound Council of Mathematics Teachers (PSMT), and the Washington State Mathematics Council (WSMC). The conference location rotates between Oregon, Washington, and Canada but attendees and presenters come from all over the US. According to BCAMT President Michael Pruner, "over 1200 math educators from all over North America visited sunny Whistler, BC to reflect upon the teaching of mathematics and discuss ways to improve. All three keynotes (Ron Lancaster, Egan Chernoff and Simon Singh) proved to be provocative, inspirational and engaging." Sounds like it was a great conference. You may want to join me in making plans to attend the next Northwest Math Conference in Yakima, WA October 21-23, 2016.

The California Mathematics Council (CMC) is the biggest math teacher/leader organization in our region. CMC South held their 56th Annual Conference November 6-7, 2015 at the Palm Springs Convention Center and surrounding hotels. The conference included over 280 sessions centered on the theme "Orchestrating the Common Core Classroom". Some of the hot topics were the upcoming standardized assessments, implementing the new California CCSSM, transforming the CCSSM for all students, STEM learning, college and career readiness, and technology. I have been trying to attend this conference for two years. Hopefully I can make it work for next year's conference November 4-5, 2016 in Palm Springs. For information about next year's conference, go to the CMC South website.

The CMC North Conference was held Dec 11-13, 2015 at the Asilomar State Conference Center and Pacific Grove Middle School on the Monterey Peninsula. The theme was "Getting at the Core of the Mathematical Practices". Keynote speakers included Dr. Matt Larson (NCTM President Elect), Grace Kelemanik, and Steve Leinwand (a past president of NCSM). The three-day conference was packed with nearly 200 sessions for teachers and teacher leaders in a wide variety of topics. I didn't get to go this year but heard it was a fantastic conference. Next year's conference will be December 2-4, 2016 in Asilomar. For information about next year's conference, go to the CMC North website.

The Hawaii Council of Teachers of Mathematics (HCTM) is gearing up for their annual spring conference. It will be held February 20, 2016 at Iolani School. For information about the HCTM conference, go to the HCTM website.

Lastly, I was fortunate to attend and present at eastern Oregon's Inquiry Outside the Cube Conference for K-12 math and science teachers held at La Grande Middle School on Friday October 9, 2015. Participants received a book aligned to their content area for a book study session. Other sessions focused on STEM teaching with an entertaining closing keynote session by Irv Lubliner. Thanks to the "Chicks in the Sticks" for organizing this great conference.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)