Region S2 Report - Spring 2016

News from the Southern 2 Region
Linda K. Griffith, Southern 2 Regional Director
Spring 2016

Spring seems to be arriving in Southern Region 2. Fall was a busy time with many professional meetings taking place throughout the Region. As spring arrives I hope many of you are planning on attending the NCSM Meeting in Oakland in April. I always look forward to this meeting and seeing many of you. This year will be bittersweet for me, as I will complete my term as Regional Director for our region. I am honored to have had the opportunity to serve in this position. I am excited that Paul Gray, from Texas, will be our new Regional Director on the NCSM Board. Paul is an excellent choice and I am confident that he will do a great job representing the region. I know he will work tirelessly to keep us all informed about NCSM Initiatives and Projects and be our voice on the Board.

As the NCSM Annual Meeting approaches I know we will be hearing more about NCSM's exciting Digital Initiative. Check out the White Paper on this website "Mathematics Education in a Digital Age" that was released last spring. Search under Leadership Resources and Position Papers to locate this resource.

Also at the Conference a new resource will be added to the 3-Act Tasks page. This resource will be a tool for mathematics education leaders to use with teachers at all grade levels to review 3-ACT Tasks. As well as the tool itself, plans are to have a power point presentation with presenter notes that could be used when introducing the tool to teachers. With more and more 3-Act Tasks being posted at various websites, it is time to think about how we as leaders can help teachers select tasks that meet their instructional goals and deliver these task using the best research based pedagogy.

Again as I write this my last website update, I want to thank all of you that worked with me during the last three years. I am happy to report that in June 2013 Southern Region 2 had 327 members and in February 2016 the region had 380 members. Let's continue to grow our membership in the region by using personal contacts. If you know someone in a leadership role in mathematics education, tell him or her about NCSM and the resources we can offer.

I hope to see you in Oakland in a few weeks. Please join me in congratulating Paul and welcoming him into his new leadership role. Please plan on joining Paul and I at the regional caucus on Tuesday, April 12 from 3:30-4:15 in OCC 207.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)