Region W2 Report - Spring 2016

News from the Western 2 Region
Nancy Drickey, Western 2 Regional Director
Spring 2016

We are very fortunate to have the NCSM Annual Conference in our region this year. I am hoping to see many of you at the conference April 11-13 at the Oakland Marriott. Be sure to attend our regional caucus on Tuesday April 12 from 3:30-4:15 p.m. in room 208 of the Oakland Marriott Conference Center. This will be a great time to reconnect with colleagues and also meet new leaders in our area.

I have really enjoyed serving on the NCSM Board of Directors but my term will soon be over. NOW is the time for you to nominate leaders for the upcoming election for a new Regional Director for Western 2. Candidates for the position must live or work in our region (CA, WA, OR, HA), and be members of NCSM in good standing since at least May 2015. Go to the NCSM website for more information about elections, nominations, eligibility, and position descriptions. Feel free to email me if you have questions about the roles and responsibilities of the position. Nominations are due May 15.

In other news from our region:

The Hawaii Council of Teachers of Mathematics held their annual spring conference "Connections" at Iolani School on February 20, 2016. Dr. Randy Palisoc gave a keynote address: "Think Like a Champion" followed by grade level sessions, workshops, poster sessions, and exhibits.

The California Mathematics Council Central held the 2016 Central Valley Common Core Mathematics Symposium March 11-12, 2016 at CSU Bakersfield centered on the theme of "Productive Struggle". The keynote speaker was Phil Daro (co-author of the Common Core Mathematics Standards) on the topic "Using Progressions to Make Progress".

The Oregon Council of Teachers of Mathematics is gearing up for their summer Oregon Math Leaders conference August 5-7, 2016 at Willamette University. Participants can also apply to attend the Authors' Assistance Event at the conclusion the conference. PreK-2 teachers should register early if they want a classroom set of materials by participating in the Nancy Anderson Memorial Workshop. For more information, go to the OCTM website.

The Washington State Mathematics Council is gearing up for the 55th Annual Northwest Math Conference to be held Oct. 21-23, 2016 at the Yakima Convention Center. This year's theme is "What is Next in Mathematics? WIN with Math!" and session strands include early numeracy, CCSS standards for mathematical practices, post-secondary education, STEAM, and assessment. For more information, go to the NWMath Conference website.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)