Region C1 Report - Summer 2016

News from the Central 1 Region
Jason Gauthier, Central 1 Regional Director
Summer 2016

Summer. That time when we look forward to a break in our busy schedules. Vacations and family time rule our thoughts, and rightly so. In addition to that, though, I often have thoughts about what I might do for my own professional development. I have few enough of those opportunities during the hectic year and so I look forward to summer as a time when I might have a bit of freedom to catch up on my "work reading list." We are all busy, but here is my list for you to consider:

A little of the new . . .

Making Sense of Mathematics for Teaching - Middle School
Edward C. Nolan, Juli K. Dixon, Farshid Safi, Erhan Selcuk Haciomeroglu
Making Sense of Mathematics for Teaching - High School
Edward C. Nolan, Juli K. Dixon, George J. Roy, Janet B. Andreasen

A little of the old (going back to the classics never hurt anybody) . . .

Making Sense: Teaching and Learning Mathematics with Understanding
James Hiebert, Thomas P. Carpenter, Elizabeth Fennema, Karen C. Fuson, Diana Wearne, Hanlie Murray, Alwyn Olivier, Piet Human

Professional Standards for Teaching Mathematics
NCTM

I made this list because some of these I haven't read before, while others are some that I haven't read in a long time. I find that coming back to resources after long periods is helpful, especially when I reflect on my initial interpretation and understanding in light of my intervening experiences. The changes often astound me. How has your practice changed your understanding of your favorite resources?

As you go through your summer, please take a few moments to share your thoughts about resources you would recommend (old, new, or otherwise) for someone in your position. I would love to hear your thoughts. I would love even more to start a low pressure summer book study. I leave the offer open; all you have to do is ask. Have a great summer!

Jason Gauthier
Central 1 Regional Director

Announcements and Reminders:

Looking for a little summer professional learning? If you are, I'd like to remind you that NCSM's Summer Leadership Academy is in our region this year. This is an exciting opportunity to engage with other leaders in mathematics education from across our region and the country! Please consider attending this summer and helping us build and support leadership in mathematics education.

One thing that I've learned as I've built my practice here in Michigan is that collaboration is not to be underrated. We have a close group of consultants and mathematics education leaders in my state and I'd love to help create connections to more organizations like it in other states and connect them all to NCSM (the premier mathematics education leadership organization in the world). I strongly believe in communication, collaboration, and vision for mathematics education. Without these we go nowhere. To that end, I've set a few goals for my time as RD and I need help in getting there. My goals are as follows:

1. Affiliates - Central 1 currently has two affiliates with NCSM and both are from Michigan. I want to work with leaders in the other states to bring more affiliates into NCSM.
  2. Communication - As I said above, I would like to help create connections with NCSM and between state math leadership organizations. Perhaps Networking would be a better title for this goal.
  3. Assistance - I would like to increase the offerings that NCSM provides to its members in this region. Gwen Zimmermann, our previous Central 1 RD, started this with an "un-conference" in the Chicago area prior to the NCSM Annual in Oakland. An un-conference is one of many options that might be organized and offered through NCSM. Also, keep in mind that if your organization needs a speaker or facilitator for an event, NCSM is one place that you may find someone.

If you have any thoughts on these goals and how we might collaborate to achieve them, please don't hesitate to contact me. I will be thinking about ways to move forward and I need all the help I can get. Also, please don't forget your state team leaders. They are the point people for NCSM in your states.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)