Region S2 Report - Fall 2016

News from the Southern 2 Region
Paul Gray, Southern 2 Regional Director
Fall 2016

Greetings, NCSM colleagues from Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennnessee! The calendar says that it's fall, even though in the South, we know that summer hasn't quite let go yet. In any case, here are some news and tidbits from our region in which you might be interested.

Volunteer for an NCSM Committee

One of the more frequently asked questions that I get from NCSM members or potential members is how they can get more involved in the work of NCSM. We need to make sure that the Southern 2 region is represented on NCSM's working committees! What are those committees, you ask?

• Review Journal Articles
  • Write journal articles
  • Review conference proposals
  • Assist Nominations/Elections Committee
  • Assist Membership Committee
  • Assist Awards Committee
  • Assist with Coaching Committee
  • Assist with Social Media

If you are interested, please use our online volunteer form at http://tinyurl.com/VolunteerNCSM. You may also email me at any time, .

Let's Network at an Upcoming Conference

Frequently, when the new school year starts, we find out what the true meaning of that "extra duties as assigned" clause in our contracts and employment agreements means. Whether you have new duties or are interested in learning more about recent trends and issues in mathematics education, we have several conference opportunities in or near our region that you can consider.

September 23-24, Tennessee MTA Annual Conference, Murfreesboro, TN
October 6-7, Mississippi CTM Annual Conference, Ellisville, MS
October 17-18, Texas (TASM) Fall Meeting, Austin, TX
October 24-26, Louisiana Joint LATM/LSTA Conference, Baton Rouge, LA
October 25, NCSM Fall Seminar, Phoenix, AZ
October 26-28, NCTM Regional Conference, Phoenix, AZ
November 2, Arkansas (AAML) Annual Conference, Little Rock, AR
November 3-4, Arkansas Curriculum Conference, Little Rock, AR
November 3-4, Alabama CTM Fall Forum Conference, Birmingham, AL
November 16, NCSM Fall Seminar, St. Louis, MO
November 17-19, NCTM Regional Conference, St. Louis, MO

Plan ahead…

February 16-17, 2017, Texas (TASM) Spring Meeting, Austin, TX
April 2-5, 2017, NCSM Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX
April 5-7, 2017, NCTM Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX
June 9, 2017, Oklahoma CTM Conference, Del City, OK

NCSM Digital Resources

NCSM provides a plethora of resources for its members. If you didn't download the NCSM PLC app in Oakland onto your smartphone, please do so now. Go to http://www.ncsmplc.org/ and use your device's bookmark-on-screen feature to place an icon on your phone's main screen. From here, you can tap the icon and the NCSM PLC app is a web-based app that allows you to browse through resources you can use with your teachers in a PLC-setting. Be on the lookout for an update in the coming months!

Don't Be a Stranger

If there is anything that I can do as your regional director for NCSM, please don't hesitate to contact me. As well, if there is something that you want NCSM to know about what's going on in your state or area, I can carry that information forward. Email me at or follow/direct message me on Twitter, @texmathguy.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)