Region W2 Report - Fall 2016

News from the Western 2 Region
Nancy Drickey, Western 2 Regional Director
Fall 2016

NCSM MEMBERSHIP

As the NCSM Regional Director for Western 2, one of my responsibilities is to recruit and retain NCSM members in California, Oregon, Washington, and Hawaii. I am very pleased to report that our region has more NCSM members than any of the other 8 regions. Thank you! I appreciate all of you for the work you do promoting NCSM, helping to recruit new members, and remembering to renew your membership.

ELECTIONS

Have you voted yet for our new NCSM Regional Director (RD) for Western 2? Elections opened Sept. 15, 2016 and close Oct. 15, 2016. Members in our region can vote for two positions - 2nd Vice President (Bill Barnes or Denise Brady), and Regional Director for Western 2 (Kathlan Latimer or Christine Roberts). You can read their bios online. To vote, you should have received an email or post card with an election code. If you need assistance, contact the NCSM office at 303.317.6595. I wish all candidates the best and look forward to working with our new RD. Our newly elected RD will embark on her three-year term at the conclusion of the annual conference in San Antonio.

ANNUAL CONFERENCE

Are you planning to attend the annual NCSM conference April 3-5, 2017 in San Antonio? You can register online and reserve your hotel. The theme this year is "Engaging in the Mission of Mathematics Education Leadership: High Quality, Meaningful and Relevant Mathematics for All". Our program committee is working hard to provide us with another excellent conference. I hope to see you there!

SERVING ON THE BOARD

Being on the NCSM board has been a delightful experience. I have learned so much from other board members and NCSM members, especially the teachers and leaders in our region. I have enjoyed attending many of the conferences in Oregon, Washington, California and Hawaii. I am so impressed with the knowledgeable, passionate, and caring educators who work tirelessly to actively engage all students in meaningful mathematics and learning activities; and the teacher leaders who dedicate their time to providing quality professional development for mathematics teachers. It's a great time to be involved in this network of mathematics education professionals.

EVENTS IN OUR REGION

A true highlight for me as your Regional Director is attending state and regional conferences. We already had two conferences this summer and early fall in Oregon. Teachers and leaders attended the Oregon Math Leaders Conference (OML) in Salem August 5-7 with sessions and guest speakers focused on the theme "Engaging Students through STEM." OML is sponsored by the Oregon Council of Teachers of Mathematics, an NCSM affiliate. Another NCSM affiliate from Oregon is the Teachers of Teachers of Mathematics (TOTOM). They had their annual conference on the University of Oregon campus September 9-10. Participants focused on outcomes expected for preK-12 mathematics teachers graduating from our university programs.

The Washington Council of Teachers of Mathematics is sponsoring the 55th Northwest Math Conference in Yakima October 21-23. The theme is "WIN with Math! What Is Next in Mathematics!!" About 1000 participants are expected to attend sessions focused on early numeracy: setting the foundation for the future; CCSSM mathematical practices: engaging students in learning; post-secondary education: preparing for tomorrow; STEAM: driving innovation in learning; and assessment: deepening understanding. I always enjoy going to the Northwest Math Conference but this is a special treat as it will be my first time in Yakima.

The California Math Council (CMC), an NCSM affiliate, is sponsoring the CMC-South's 57th Annual Mathematics Conference in Palm Springs on November 4-5. Billed as the largest math conference in California, they anticipate over 300 sessions focused around the theme "Sparking Deeper Understanding" with 4 strands: equity, EL learners, STEM, and technology integration. I've heard great things about this conference and look forward to attending it this year as a first-timer.

Coming up Dec 2-4 is the CMC-North Asilomar Conference in Pacific Grove with the theme "The Mathematical Practices: A Reality in Every Classroom". I am sure participants will enjoy many great sessions plus three great keynote speakers: Dan Meyer, Zachary Champagne, and Megan Franke.

As we start the new academic year, I would like to wish you the best. May we all continue to strive for math teaching excellence.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)