Region W2 Report - Winter 2016/2017

News from the Western 2 Region
Nancy Drickey, Western 2 Regional Director
Winter 2016/2017

NCSM Election Results

Congratulations to Kathlan Latimer for being elected to the NCSM board as our Western 2 Regional Director. Kathlan will begin serving her 3-year term at the conclusion of the April 2017 NCSM Annual Conference. I look forward to mentoring her and wish her the best as she begins her new role on the board.

Annual Conference

You are invited to join us at our annual conference, Engaging in the Mission of Mathematics Education Leadership, April 3-5, 2017 in San Antonio, Texas. The 49th NCSM Conference is designed to provide you with a rich professional development experience that supports your endeavors to ensure high quality, meaningful, and relevant mathematics for all.

Membership

As the NCSM Regional Director for Western 2, one of my responsibilities is to recruit and retain NCSM members in California, Oregon, Washington, and Hawaii. I am very pleased to report that our region has more NCSM members than any of the other 8 regions. Thank you! I appreciate all of you for the work you do promoting NCSM, helping to recruit new members, and remembering to renew your membership.

Serving as your Regional Director

Being on the NCSM board has been a delightful experience. I have learned so much from other board members and NCSM members, especially the teachers and leaders in our region. I have enjoyed attending many of the conferences in Oregon, Washington, California and Hawaii. I am so impressed with the knowledgeable, passionate, and caring educators who work tirelessly to actively engage all students in meaningful mathematics and learning activities; and the teacher leaders who dedicate their time to providing quality professional development for mathematics teachers. It's a great time to be involved in this network of mathematics education professionals.

Conferences in our Region

A true highlight for me as your Regional Director has been attending state and regional conferences. Fall 2016 has been as busy as ever. Teachers and leaders in Oregon attended the Oregon Math Leaders Conference (OML) in Salem August 5-7 with sessions and guest speakers focused on the theme "Engaging Students through STEM." OML is sponsored by the Oregon Council of Teachers of Mathematics, an NCSM affiliate. Another NCSM affiliate from Oregon is the Teachers of Teachers of Mathematics (TOTOM). They had their annual conference on the University of Oregon campus. Participants focused on outcomes expected for preK-12 mathematics teachers graduating from our programs.

The Washington Council of Teachers of Mathematics sponsored the 55th Northwest Math Conference in Yakima October 21-23. The theme was "WIN with Math! What Is Next in Mathematics!!" Participants attended sessions focused on early numeracy: setting the foundation for the future, CCSSM mathematical practices: engaging students in learning, post-secondary education: preparing for tomorrow, STEAM: driving innovation in learning, and assessment: deepening understanding. I always enjoy going to the Northwest Math Conference but this was a special treat as it was my first time in Yakima.

The California Math Council (CMC), an NCSM affiliate, sponsored the CMC-South's 57th Annual Mathematics Conference in Palm Springs on November 4-5. Billed as the largest math conference in California, over 300 sessions focused around the theme "Sparking Deeper Understanding" with 4 strands: equity, EL learners, STEM, and technology integration. As a first-timer at the CMC-South conference, I highly recommend this conference to all NCSM members! I also love being a CMC member and getting their journal, "The ComMuniCator".

The CMC-North Asilomar Conference was held December 2-4 in Pacific Grove with the theme "The Mathematical Practices: A Reality in Every Classroom". I didn't get to go this year but read lots of enthusiastic tweets about the conference. From my perspective, I would say that participants enjoyed great sessions plus the keynote speakers: Dan Meyer, Zachary Champagne, and Megan Franke.

Upcoming Conferences in our Region

• January 20, 2017: Greater San Diego Math Council Annual Conference, Marina Village Conference Center, San Diego
  • February 18, 2017: Hawaii Council of Teachers of Math Conference, Waipahu High School, Oahu
  • March 10-11, 2017: CMC-Central CCSS Math Symposium, TBD

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)