Region C1 Report - Spring 2017

News from the Central 1 Region
Jason Gauthier, Central 1 Regional Director
Spring 2017

As I prepare for the NCSM Annual Conference on April 3, I can't help but wonder about some things. I am heavily involved in NCSM's Coaching Corner Committee and we have been making great strides forward over the past couple of years in this area. We've created new resources (Interviews and It Worked!) and begun a social media community to support coaches, and we continue to move forward in these areas.

This is all fantastic stuff, to be sure. I wonder, though, what will it take to shift priorities in our districts so that they value coaching? How do we get the people we lead (and serve) to value coaching and see it as a high impact investment in their teachers' development? We've begun small, with examples from individual coaches and interviews with notable names in the coaching field, but can we do more? Would highlighting coaching programs from across our diverse network help move coaching to the forefront of the minds of those we work with?

I will continue to reflect on our mission and our work and I would welcome your thoughts on this as well. Collaboration yields great benefits when we take advantage of opportunities to work with one another. I'll close with a quote from Simon Sinek that makes me think of coaches from a leadership perspective. This is how we should take care of teachers-by supporting them.

"Leadership is now about being in charge. Leadership is about taking care of those in your charge."

Central 1 Updates

Affiliates

We have had some affiliate applications come in and they will be voted on at the board meeting prior to the conference. I'm looking forward to welcoming new Central 1 affiliates to NCSM! Thank you to all of you who put in the work of applying. For those of you still thinking about it, please consider moving forward. The process is not difficult and our Affiliates Chair, Carol Matsumoto, is very helpful!

NCSM Professional Learning

If there are any professional learning needs that you believe NCSM might be able to assist you with, please don't hesitate to contact me. Our organization is filled with exceptionally qualified people who are motivated to help in any way they can.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)