Region E2 Report - Spring 2017

News from the Eastern 2 Region
Bill Barnes, Eastern 2 Regional Director
Spring 2017

Reflections: Spring is a time of year for renewal and revitalization. It is a time for new growth. Why not leverage this energy and take some time to invest in your own growth as a leader. Read a book, actively engage in professional networking, or attend a webinar, conference, or "Un-conference." This spring, NCSM offers some professional fertilizer. On April 3-5, the NCSM hosts in annual conference in San Antonio, Texas. If you plan to attend this conference, please plan to attend our regional caucus to meet and learn from leaders in our region. It is an excellent time to generate new ideas and learn from each other. Have a wonderful spring season!

Welcome Sue Vohrer!! - Sue Vohrer will begin her term as E2 Regional Director right after this year's annual conference. Sue is an excellent mathematics leader who has excelled in the classroom, as a school-based administrator, and as a district math supervisor. Please join me in extending a welcoming hand of congratulations out to Sue as she supports the work in our region.

Consider Becoming and NCSM Affiliate: If your association is interested in affiliation, learn how to sign up. Also, please do not hesitate to reach out to me if you need support.

Upcoming State Conferences, Meetings, and Events: Tis the season of state and regional mathematics conferences. Please share the dates, locations, and other promotional information about your upcoming events to me and I will post them on our regional calendar.

Delaware Mathematics Coalition's (DMC) hosting big Math Equity Conference. The event coincides with the launch of the organization's Advocacy and Outreach efforts. The conference, "Putting Principles into Action: Promoting Equitable Conditions in STEM for All Teachers & Students", will engage K-20 educators, parents, students, as well as business and Department of Education leaders in a range of sessions focused on conversations and learning about promoting more equitable conditions in STEM.

The presenters for the conference (see attached program description) include a very thoughtful and highly regarded group of K-12, higher ed, and business leaders, all of whom are passionate and committed to issues of equity in mathematics. The featured keynote speaker for the event, Dr. Cathy Seeley will deliver an inspirational message related to Helping Every Student Reach Her or His STEM Potential. Cathy will also facilitate a session for parents. A panel of women in STEM (Million Women Mentors) will be engaging the community in conversations about mentoring females in STEM.

Attached is a flyer/registration form for Math Equity conference. Interested math/STEM educators should register by the week's end.

Eastern 2 Regional Team Leaders: We are fortunate to have an inspirational and talented group of leaders who have stepped forward to represent each state and district in our region. If you have thoughts or ideas, or would like to become involved with the NCSM, please reach out to your state team leader. (or email me directly). A very special thanks to those listed below. Also, a very special thanks to the other leaders in each state that agreed to serve on a statewide leadership team.

• Delaware: Crystal Lancour () and Jamila Riser ()
  • Maryland: Ed Nolan () and Andrew Todd ()
  • New Jersey: Jill Perry () and Dianna Sopala ()
  • Washington DC: John Neral ()
  • West Virginia: If you are interested in representing WVA, please email Bill directly

Stay in Touch:

• Please keep in mind that if you are planning for an upcoming state conference, let me know if you need an NCSM leader to come speak or if you would like NCSM information and handouts for your district. I look forward to learning of your great works in the coming school year.
  • Please send me dates and information related to events in our region. I am happy to promote these events on our regional calendar.

Regional Reports
(click a quarter to expand)